Copyright etc. (1 Viewer)

Milly

I'm tres confused... what's the difference between the social issues of authorship and copyright? Doesn't one just flow on to the other?

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
copyright protects the authorship rights of the author.

authorship is the rights of an original creator of a work, or a part of a work. authorship can't be given away to someone else, once you make a piece of software, you have rights of authorship. you can give (or sell) copyright rights and licenses, but that doesn't make the buyer the author of a work.

what kind of social issues were you thinking of?

Milly

Originally posted by user
what kind of social issues were you thinking of?
Thanks for your clarification. I'm just confused because you get all these scenario questions asking you to discuss the social issue in the scenario, and I never know whether to talk about copyright or authorship or both.

Originally posted by user
you can give (or sell) copyright rights and licenses, but that doesn't make the buyer the author of a work.
If the author sells the copyright license, does that mean they've relinquished the right to copy/modify/sell the work? For example if an employee writes code for a software company and it says in his/her contract that anything they write belongs to the company, are they allowed to use the same code if they leave the company to work elsewhere?

SamD

HSC
N/A
It doesn't really make too much sense to talk about the differences, they're both intimately linked, and its not really the point. However, social is to do with people living together happily rather than in isolation. Ethics is to do with upholding the morals, principles and conduct expected by a society. These maybe different for different cultures, they may be legalised as laws or they may just be expectations of appropriate behaviour.

I've got to admit this social and ethical business is not really my strong point! When answering most questions about this stuff I'd tend to think to myself "Whats seems unacceptable to me or to the society we live in?"

Hope this helps!

stuffed4exams

[/B][/QUOTE]
If the author sells the copyright license, does that mean they've relinquished the right to copy/modify/sell the work? For example if an employee writes code for a software company and it says in his/her contract that anything they write belongs to the company, are they allowed to use the same code if they leave the company to work elsewhere? [/B][/QUOTE]

no. that is unethical as it is copyright to the company, and it is not their property even though they created it -- correct me if i'm wrong

we've got a Q in the trial on that dot pt

Critically Analyse the difference between the social issue and ethical issue. (12 mks)

its a joke. seriously..whole sdd is a joke

user

HSC
Computing teachers really love the keywords "critically evaluate/analyse"
It's amazing how they can turn a simple one mark question into a compelx essay question by simply replacing "identify" with "critically evaluate"

critically evaluate the use of powersupply in a system while critically analysing the keyboard and mouse as an output device. You also need to mention examples of output device such as cd rom. Make sure you include relevant chemical equations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RUBRIC

- You will be assessed on how much you write
- You will be assessed on how well you critically evaluate the need of ipt and sdd couse in hsc while critically analysing the keyboard as an output device.
- You will be assessed on how effectively you write in 3rd person
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to work out what you have scored in this questoin, use this folmula

SCORE = Number of words * Number of letters * Number of lines used

Milly

Originally posted by iptteacherssuck
RUBRIC

- You will be assessed on how well you critically evaluate the need of ipt and sdd couse in hsc while critically analysing the keyboard as an output device.
Can I add another couple of points to the rubric?

- You will be assessed on how accurately your answer reflects the marking guidelines word for word.
- You will be assessed on whether you come up with exactly the same points as the person who wrote the sample answer.

Tee hee... a keyboard is an output device? Have I entered some sort of parallel universe? :p

Last edited:

user

HSC
Originally posted by iptteacherssuck
critically evaluate the use of powersupply in a system while critically analysing the keyboard and mouse as an output device. You also need to mention examples of output device such as cd rom. Make sure you include relevant chemical equations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RUBRIC

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The powersupply cannot by fully integrated into a system without considering the social and ethical issues involved with electricity, required by output devices such as keyboards, mice, cdROMS and modems. The main social and ethical issue involved with this responsibility of the developer to ensure that no one gets electrocuted if they enter a USB cable into a parallel port. This is represented by the chemical equation, finger + water --->heat + bang

The keyboard is obviously an output device. Most modern keyboards have three green or red lights to indicate whether the Num Lock, Caps Lock or Scroll Lock functions are on. The output of this LED is a result of the system evaluating the user inputs and responding to such data and information entered into the system.

Information Processes and Technology and Software Design and Development are obviously subjects vital to the higher school certificate course, and should be made mandatory. Without such subjects, many teachers/people would be out of work. Subjects such as IPT and SDD provide an employment opportunity for those who would otherwise be disadvantaged in the intellectual area. By allowing these people to teach, their self esteen and confidence are raised, and they also stop bludging off the government.

In conclusion, IPT and SDD are obviously subjects similar to English. Both courses reward those who have an ability to pull sh*t from their arses in a timed and controlled environment.

am i gonna ace this subject or what

Last edited:

Milly

Originally posted by AcCeSs-DeNieD
=P
this is such bullshit the way every subject is turning into an english exam....
Hahaha that's so true - next thing we know they're going to have a "History of Mathematics" extended response section in the maths exam!

And good answer user :p full marks to you!

enzi`

that reminds me, can anyone tell me the difference between critically analyse and critically evaluate? i need to brush up on my bs skills

Milly

Originally posted by enzi`
that reminds me, can anyone tell me the difference between critically analyse and critically evaluate? i need to brush up on my bs skills
Well according to the Board documents, "analyse" means to identify components and the relationships between them... or something... and "evaluate" means to judge by a certain set of criteria... if that helps :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)