Course Choice (1 Viewer)

Which course?

• Total voters

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
At around offer time I am going to be faced with a choice - to do B Laws/B Business @ UWS or B Medical Science @ UNSW
Both courses have the same cut off and I think I'd enjoy the courses equally. (if I end up doing B Med Sci I'd use it as a pathway to medicine)

Out of curiosity - What course would you choose and why?

Optophobia

HSC
B Med Sci.

Much more interesting, plus you want to use it as a pathway into medicine.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
If you'd enjoy them both equally, I'd say do med sci at UNSW. Probably more of a convenience to be at UNSW also.

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
No because none of those interest me :p. But wouldn't you not be faced with that choice since you will get offered your highest preference first actually don’t mind me there is always a choice.

Monstar

HSC
NSW. Although its a law degree/commerce degree i think you will still have problems looking for a job.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
B Medical Science, just because I'm biased and its something I'd want to do. It'd probably be a whole lot more interesting than law/business... but that's just me :p

SquidY06

HSC
it says your aim is Macq law, why the change in attitude and switching towards medical science? if you had the UAI to do Law at Macq would you be taking that ..or thinking about doing medical science?

if you choose medical science...what if you fail transfer..your gamsat isn't high enough, or GPA not sufficient...you end up with a medical science degree and years of work..trying to get in..just to get into medicine, that takes years an years...

if however you choose Blaw at UWs... you have that law degree in what 4-5 years ready to go and to start work

Etheral

HSC
Thought I'd use this opportunity to ask

When I went to open day at NSW, the guy there in teh law faculty told me that to transfer into commerce/law there would be a need to have a minimum uai of 97 and a distinction average. this, i assume, is based on trends. but do you think it's that competitive? and does the uai really matter for transfers?

maybe this is becasue im not sure of the grading system in uni, what is the nrsl index and gpa?

edit: read brogan's post on gpa (thanks), but now still what is the nrsl index and wam?

btw, i was thinking of donig commerce at nsw first and then transferring.

Last edited:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Bus/Law.. LOL coz that is wat I am 99% going to do.

I didn't try for medicine because I know I cant bear the thought of responsible for someone's life, however good the pay is.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
SquidY06 said:
it says your aim is Macq law, why the change in attitude and switching towards medical science? if you had the UAI to do Law at Macq would you be taking that ..or thinking about doing medical science?

if you choose medical science...what if you fail transfer..your gamsat isn't high enough, or GPA not sufficient...you end up with a medical science degree and years of work..trying to get in..just to get into medicine, that takes years an years...

if however you choose Blaw at UWs... you have that law degree in what 4-5 years ready to go and to start work
My fear of doing crap at Med Sci and missing out on medicine is why I am in uch a dilema. At UNSW they're starting this program where if you do well in the first 2 years of Med Sci (top 15 of those who apply for the pathway thing) you gain a provisional place in the MBBS after completin B Med Sci with honors.
So through B med sci I can try gettin into medicine by -
First year transfer as a NRSL
After 2nd year if i do good there is the above method
And if i don't get in through the above I will finished Med Sci without the honors and try grad entry

SquidY06

HSC
i dun know the cohort size.. of medical science..but most ppl that do medical science try to get into postgrad medicine anyway..so the cohort are already full on nERdS -- with what UNSW are doing now.. they're going to have even more nerds (because ppl that would have gone to do Usyd medsci will now be attracted to UNSW). and they only accept 15 students a year anyway for that scheme..so its hard

so you actually want to do medicine? and your AIm actually isn't law? is that rite? if thats the case then go do medical sci - do what you want

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
SquidY06 said:
i dun know the cohort size.. of medical science..but most ppl that do medical science try to get into postgrad medicine anyway..so the cohort are already full on nERdS -- with what UNSW are doing now.. they're going to have even more nerds (because ppl that would have gone to do Usyd medsci will now be attracted to UNSW). and they only accept 15 students a year anyway for that scheme..so its hard

so you actually want to do medicine? and your AIm actually isn't law? is that rite? if thats the case then go do medical sci - do what you want
Yeah i know its gonna b competitive but many people that i know who missed out on medicine still prefer med sci at usyd over the unsw course - mostly, they don't want to do a course which they were far over the cut off for (Usyd is 9pts above unsw) and UNSW is even further out for them than usyd.

I'm hoping that usyd will take more of the mega nerds away from unsw...does anyone know what the cohort size is for UNSW med sci or know where I can find it out?

I don't know whether I want to do law over Medicine...i like both law and medicine (along with vet sci) because i enjoy biological sciences (as opposed to pure chemistry and physics).

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
the uai at uws is fake for law

i know one guy got in with a uai of 72
wtf...did he have an exceptional ret score? or get eas? Or special consideration for an exceptional HSC english mark or sumfin?

SquidY06

HSC
well..if UNSW didn't have that transfer into 4th yr med... the cutofs may stay the same.. because it would just follow the same trends as last year

but i reckon because of the new UNSW system, some smart cookies are going to get sucked in and think they can just get into 4th yr medicine at UNSW. so the UAI cutoff is gauranteed to increase and it'd be harder

well i think if you like law as much as medicine - do law? because the path towards law is much simplier and gives you a degree by the time you finish your medical science degree..

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
SquidY06 said:
well..if UNSW didn't have that transfer into 4th yr med... the cutofs may stay the same.. because it would just follow the same trends as last year

but i reckon because of the new UNSW system, some smart cookies are going to get sucked in and think they can just get into 4th yr medicine at UNSW. so the UAI cutoff is gauranteed to increase and it'd be harder

well i think if you like law as much as medicine - do law? because the path towards law is much simplier and gives you a degree by the time you finish your medical science degree..
If I don't like Med sci or get a good rank in first year i could always transfer in to law...and the double degree of law takes 5 yrs as is

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
ret must be considred if it was 10 uai points below published cutoff
Yeah i know that is why i sed exceptional...like if he got 100 they may have made an exception to the rule....

SquidY06

HSC
why transfer into law in the first place if you like it? :S

why don't you just do law straight up

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
He could of got a RET of 82 and be allowed in, or higher even and as ari said they could have made an exception to the rule. If the RET is below the UAI then its not regarded.

Med and Law are both 2 very different degrees. Do you really have a passion for both or are you just in it for the $ :p.
Personally I have no interest in either. If you think about it logically if you do law you will end up with a law and a business degree. If you do med sci there is no guarantee you will get into a med degree and be possible stuck in a degree with lower employment prospects as say a busness and law degree would offer you. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I have no ideas about med sci).
I'm not in it for the money lol...I know they're verry different and I am still passionate about doing both for their individual characteristics. My fear is what you have suggested - If i completely miss out on medicine, will I be guaranteed a job as a med sci grad?

I asked around and have been told that there are about 150 students in the UNSW med sci cohort so to get into the med pathways thing demands i be in the top 10% (only 15 places are given out ) So if i work hard and do good in UMAT i could hopefully get a place in it (GAMSAT isn't used for the pathway I believe, however if I don't make it for the pathway i'd need to do gamsat for other grad med)

If it goes bad I won't exactly be "stuck in a degree" because I always have the option of a first year transfer into law.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
SquidY06 said:
so the cohort are already full on nERdS -- with what UNSW are doing now.. they're going to have even more nerds
So I'm a nerd now? :confused:

SquidY06 said:
but most ppl that do medical science try to get into postgrad medicine anyway.t
Sounds like you know the course more than I do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)