Course Choice (1 Viewer)

Which course?

• Total voters

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
ari89 said:
My fear is what you have suggested - If i completely miss out on medicine, will I be guaranteed a job as a med sci grad?
Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed. Go ask any graduate student from any faculty and they will tell you the same.

If you have equal interest in law and medicine like you claimed, then why not just stick with law? The entry is so straightforward - save you some headache as well :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed. Go ask any graduate student from any faculty and they will tell you the same.

If you have equal interest in law and medicine like you claimed, then why not just stick with law? The entry is so straightforward - save you some headache as well :)
Fiiine I'd prefer medicine over law but I find both interestin and wldnt do law out of $ sake...thanks for answerin my stupid med sci questions :)

Not considering anything other than personal interest my preferences for uni courses would be:

Medicine
Veterinary Science
Law (with Arts/Science for interest sake as opposed to business)
Medical Science without any intention for going into medicine
Grad Dentistry
Psychology - clincal psychologist
Computer Science/IT
Arts and B Science

Essentially I like biology style sciences such as immunology, health and disease etc

Last edited:

SquidY06

HSC
you're such a nerd survivor! haha microbes are everywhere? and advertising coming 1st 2nd and 3rd? haha just kidding ^^

well med sci at UNSW is good prep for doing medicine, otherwise they wouldn't have that 4th transfer in place if they weren't confident they could just skip 3 years of med school

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
ari89 said:
Fiiine I'd prefer medicine over law but I find both interestin and wldnt do law out of $ sake...thanks for answerin my stupid med sci questions :)
Fiinally admitting the truth... Then what's there to think about? You probably already know exactly what preference to put first. :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
SquidY06 said:
you're such a nerd survivor! haha microbes are everywhere? and advertising coming 1st 2nd and 3rd? haha just kidding ^^
Be nice to "nerds", chances are you'll be working for one in the future. :D :p

Chris.

HSC
choose med sci at unsw, and if you dont like it transfer into something better within the uni.

i also voted med sci because of the generalisation that UWS sucks

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Chris. said:
choose med sci at unsw, and if you dont like it transfer into something better within the uni.
Yeah, I'm sure I'd enjoy it:) But in any case thats an option

Chris. said:
i also voted med sci because of the generalisation that UWS sucks
Hehe its unfair to say UWS sucks. Its law course is actually quite good and they have common lecturers with USYD (so I've heard). However, in law graduates the employers actually do consider the reputation of the law school that they came from and UWS doesn't ranke the best. (I actually read some research thing and UWS law school was the poorest rated n terms of local and international reputation.)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
Fiinally admitting the truth... Then what's there to think about? You probably already know exactly what preference to put first. :D
I over analyse stuff is what I have to think about:p

Other than the fundamentals of chemistry units, how much hardcore chem is involved?

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
My preferences are now:

1 Bachelor of Medical Science at UNSW

2 Bachelor of Business Economics/Bachelor of Laws at UWS

3 Bachelor of Medical Science at UNSW (DFEE)

4 Bachelor of Arts - Psychology at Macquarie University

5 Bachelor of Chiropractic Science at Macquarie University

6 Bachelor of Psychology at UWS

7 Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology at University of Sydney

I'm thinking of putting Med Sci DFEE as my 2nd preference incase I don't make the CSP place for it since there would be more of a demand for the course this yr

Last edited:

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
Choice- NSW medicine. rational. Western Sydney is a hole. Propped up TAFE Couse that a labor gov made into a uni in order to win a few extra votes in the west. i wouldn't go there if it was a choice between that and working in a cambodian sweatshop!

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Lockhart said:
Choice- NSW medicine. rational. Western Sydney is a hole. Propped up TAFE Couse that a labor gov made into a uni in order to win a few extra votes in the west. i wouldn't go there if it was a choice between that and working in a cambodian sweatshop!
lol...i heard that UTS never used to be a uni and was some technology college...is there any truth to that?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
A simple wikipedia search answered that

wikipedia said:
The institution that became UTS began as the Sydney Mechanics' Institute in 1843. In 1878 this became the Sydney Technical College.
In 1969, part of the Sydney Technical College became the New South Wales Institute of Technology (NSWIT). It was officially unveiled by Neville Wran.
It was reconstituted as the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS), in 1988 under an Act of NSW State Parliament.

I had no idea it was so old

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
ari89 said:
I had no idea it was so old
Its not, at least, UTS, while the technical college was originally founded a long time ago, is and was not effectively the same institution. The current building in which they reside was previously occupied by the Fairfax press (Sydney Morning Herald). They have only been on the site since about the 60's.

The technical college when it was transformed into a university hired different staff and management and transformed itself a fair bit when it became a uni. Although to this day it still has some of the older connections with the previous technical college and is why the institution is meant to have a "Vocational focus". Being centred on the more practice rather than the theoretical is why the institute does not offer subjects like history and philosophy and is a direct consequence of originally being a technical institution.

The place has changed a fair bit though. Doesn't have anything like the history as Sydney, seen by the open concrete architecture theme that they are running there, but still, a degree is more than bricks and mortar.

haque

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Be nice to "nerds", chances are you'll be working for one in the future. :D :p
Lol Bill Gates is pretty nerdy-but he's rich

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Lockhart said:
jeez, talk about snobbery!! and you haven't even started at uni yet

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
lol back to the question at hand people

Monstar

HSC
Med Sci AT UNSW....
UWS courses maybe quality but its all about perception- and there is a perception that UWS is substandard which IMO is pretty bs...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
Med Sci! At first I thought it was Bus/Law at UTS which is 97.55... But UWS is really far to travel, etc.
ok cool...BUMP!

pottsy44

HSC
LottoX said:
Med Sci! At first I thought it was Bus/Law at UTS which is 97.55... But UWS is really far to travel, etc.
this is of course objective depending on where you live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)