• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Im after some help please. I have no idea how to write a piece of creative writing and when I do attempt it always seems to be cliche or not sophisticated enough. Does anyone have any good ideas to work off or maybe some idea what the markers are looking for when they read a piece of creative writing.

Please Help

Thanks

patbox64

HSC
Try reading other short stories. You can find these on the internet, or in books. Even just reading novels is helpful. Most of the time, markers are looking for how you shape meaning - ie, how you use language forms and features (metaphors, similes, structure etc) to make a point.

Try writing as often as possible. Dont worry if its not great at first - youre the only one who will see it. After a while, you will see your writing improve.

If you still need more help, see your teacher. Dont be embarressed to ask - its their job to help you. If you hand practise stories/essays to them, they can advise you one how to improve your writing.

The first and largest hurdle is confidence. Motivate yourself, and dont ever think that you cant do it because your "not smart enough" or something.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i'd suggest using a concept already done before but to put your own original twist in it. however definitely avoid cliches i.e. teenage angst, suicide by checking with your teacher

for e.g. if you can work on a story which transitions between say a journey across land and sea by ship set in the 19th century interspersed with reflections, you're already showing the interrelationships of the journeys (inner, physical) which will guide you to further elaborate on such a concept

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)