Crime Fiction Essay (1 Viewer)

|MiKKi|

does any1 hav a general sort of essay 2 do with cf that they wouldnt mind sharing? like 1 that kan b used 2 study off about genre and related texts...

El

Hey bud, our class has had this question thrown at us a million times because it can be re-worded in like a million ways:
"Crime Fiction focuses on the solving of a particular mystery, but it also raises questions about the society it depicts."
We were told that our answer should adress stuff like the fact that mystery is the main focus of a cf story but it acts as a vehicle for other elements- all that syllabus shit, but the model essay that we were given was written on Snow falling on Cedars, which was good, but it was only one text- if I find anything else- I'll b sure 2 let u know. GOOD LUCK:D

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Probably a good idea to consider three different types of questions. I tend to go for

1) questions pretty much asking you to regurgitate crime conventions and say how they are subverted to adjust to the society they are portraying/have been composed in
(I actually have seen only a couple of these - they are probably the easiest by far)

2) questions which relate conventions back to values inherent in society at the time the work was written...ie. "what views do the composers of your texts put forth through conforming to and subverting conventions?" (justice, gender roles, etc.)

3) questions which incorporate contemporary readings, ie. "Different readers respond differently to crime texts.", and you would look at how society's interpretation of crime texts has changed throughout time and what this says about changing values and contexts

Weisy:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)