Crime fiction- marlowe character analysis HELP (1 Viewer)

YvetteAlice

HSC
I'm trying to do my holiday homework, but I can't. I've watched the Big Sleep, and I'm trying to do the first of many questions on one of the most confusing movies I've ever watched.
One questions asked if Marlowes evidence is realiable? What evidence? I didn't see any evidence. I have no idea how he gets from one conclusion to another. Can anyone tell me?
I also don't understand how he interacts with other characters, or how one interaction differs from another if all he ever talks about is the crime or suggestive talking to Vivian.
AND whats the difference between a convention and a value?
I should maybe watch the movie again but I can't at the moment.
Yeah, I'm really stuck...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
YvetteAlice said:
One questions asked if Marlowes evidence is realiable? What evidence? I didn't see any evidence. I have no idea how he gets from one conclusion to another. Can anyone tell me?
You've partly solved the question - one key difference between a hardboiled detective (e.g Marlowe) and a golden age one (Ms. Marple, Poirot) is that within the golden age narrative there is a logical accretion of evidence from one point to the next whereas a hardboiled detective more often goes on 'gut instinct' and random tips and so on . So you'd be looking at the points where he arrives at conclusions - how much evidence is there? is it logical? etc.
YvetteAlice said:
I also don't understand how he interacts with other characters, or how one interaction differs from another if all he ever talks about is the crime or suggestive talking to Vivian.
Hmm, a good way to look at it is how things differ between his treatment of men and that of women. He calls most of the women pet names(doll, honey etc.), even if they're antagonistic toward him whereas he refers to most men through their last names which is almost an honorific. There is also his interaction with the bookkstore lady, where he has a very casual fling with her, seemingly becoming attracted to her only once she's removed her glasses.

There are also differences in how he reacts to people of different social standing, especially if you look closely at the first few scenes.

YvetteAlice said:
whats the difference between a convention and a value?
A convention is a recurring fixture that appears in certain narratives - e.g in the Bond movies, the gadgets and the suave clothing are conventions. A value is the principles and morals of a certain place and time, e.g australian values, christian values. Narratives are not created in vacuums, thus there is a certain set of values
that influence how the text is written and what conventions will pop up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)