Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

debugz

HSC
ahhhhhhhhh! crime fiction was da bomb! :) hehe...
yeah.. skull benath the skin was good, but farkkkken hell... how text book can u get.

ByteMe

HSC
N/A
Genre:

Genre is a category of literature with an identifiable purpose and form, from which responders can foresee certain conventions and expectations.

:p

Help! As part of an assessment task i have to find an appropriate text out of the classical period of American Crime fiction for supplementary and also a modern text... Any ideas, anyone? :D

Mercurial

Hey,

i dunno if this is what u r look for buddy, but have a look at "the Maltease Falcon" and "Momento".

kannonboy

personally i think "skull beneath..." LICKED BALLS but oh well :D

if you want supplementary material i recommend:

Books:
Peter Corris - The Empty Beach
Wet Graves

James Ellroy - American Tabloid (awesome book)
L.A. Noir

Elmore Leonard - Stick
Get Shorty (or the movie)

Movies/TV:
LA Confidential
Clue
Blue Murder (that ABC tv series)

Radio:
The Maltese Falcon
The 39-Steps

debugz

HSC
i was just thinking.. charlies angels.. the whole female detective.. BS thing...

Any old film noir will do =)

melissella

supp material

a good piece of supplementary material is 'the bone collector' - its modern, its got different aspects of the conventions. this is for anyone in general.

Ishmael

Anything by Raymond Chandler is great for use in Hard Boiled - I suggest reading it.

Besides, teachers seem to like Hard Boiled when they are marking essays. Perhaps some sense of connexion? : >

Ish

Milly

One of the texts I'm doing is the 2001 film Gosford Park by Robert Altman. It's heavily conventional and the murderer is no great surprise but it's got some good fodder for how CF texts comment on society etc. :)

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

How to drive your teacher wild...

... use Terry Pratchett's 'Guards!' series as an example of Police Procedure and Hardboiled detective genres.

The following books (in order of first to latest) comprise Terry Pratchett's (Discworld) 'Guards!' series:

Guards! Guards! - About a cult who seek to over throw the Patrician by summoning a Dragon and then 'slaying' it, as such re-instating Ankh-Morpork's monarchy with the person who 'slew' the dragon as king.
Contains: Conspiracies to over throw the government, treason, numerous 'dragon-related' murders, and a few accidental deaths.
Men At Arms - About a series of murders committed by a madman who has stolen Discworld's first fire-arm. Rather interesting word of wisdom towards the end about murder.
Contains: Numerous assassinations, theft, murders (including the death of a Watchman and a murder committed by the Watch), attempted murders, and plot to overthrow the government.
Feet of Clay - About freedom and murder of unliving objects. The first murder is particually interesting (and will grab the eye of an english teacher when you mention it) and accidental attempted murder/assassination of the Patrician.
Contains: Attempted assassination, theft, attempted murder, numerous actual murders and a conspiracy (anyone noticing a pattern here?).
Jingo - Not so much crime fiction really apart from the death of a Prince and then the war between Ankh Morpork and Klatch. Vimes (head of the watch) is sacked from the Watch, the Patrician creates his own conspiracy and the ending is quite amusing.
Contains: An assassination and a conspiracy.
The Fifth Elephant - About a plot involving the dwarves of Uberwald created by the werewolf rulers.
Contains: Murder (the final murder is particually good and is committed by a watchman. Pratchett then goes on to actually show that not all hardboiled detectives are so blaize about killing others), attempted murder, theft, the gloomy pants of uncle vanya, the trousers of time and conspiracy to incite war.

If anyone else has read any of those books feel free to comment in more detail on your thoughts as to their use as supplimentary texts for Crime Fiction.

The Maltese Falcon isn't a bad movie, my class watched it just to get a real feel for the noir genre.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)