Cut offs changing... (2 Viewers)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Hello,

I am interested in doing a Bachelor of Arts OR what I really want to do is a Bachelor of International Studies.

I looked through 2012 UAC, and the ATAR was the same, 96.15. And then I looked at the Sydney Morning Herald and it lowered to 94. I am not sure if this is correct?

I would be so happy if it is lowered!

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
2012 UAC guide is based on 2011 cut offs. the SMH are this years cut offs.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It was 94 this year. What is will be next year - who knows - it could go up, stay the same or go down.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
OH. Because I wanted to know what my new ATAR goal should be. How should I do it then?

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Why do they put a cut off for this year if it will change? Because I can work better if I have a goal in mind but if it can change then maybe I just make it 96.15 again.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Okay!

I am more focused with a goal so I guess I will keep it at 96.15. I just sometimes don't find it of use if I do not need it then I don't need to aim too high but I guess why not!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They give you the most recent cut-off as a guide - sure it can change but you also have a reasonable goal to aim for as the changes are often minimal.

They can't decide the cut-off for next year as they simply don't know how many people will want to do a course e.g. they set a cut-off at 96 for next year and then no one with an ATAR over 96 wants to do that course - so no course runs (Yes I know that is extreme) or they set 96 and only have 100 places but 100 people with ATARs over 98 want that course they have a problem for those between 96 and 98 as they can't be accomdated but they did say 96.

The cut-offs are determined based on supply on demand for each given year.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello. I got into B. International Studies this year at UNSW was very happy :p. I had 91 ATAR + 5 bonus points (Band 6 in Ancient and 5 in Economics) which gave me 96.

I reckon the cutoff will stay stationary around 94-96. So aim somewhere around there.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Thanks Cem I understand now! :) and thanks krnofdrg. I have the chance of receiving points too as I attended a program at UNSW and I can receive 8 points. :) Plus other ways to obtain points is great.

I actually thought those with a 96 would get in first, then if there are places with those of 91 and plus 5 points like you, or other plus points, would get offered last? I was thinking this the whole time.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The cutoff is like prices on the Stock Market; they go up and down, depending on supply and demand.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't predict what the cut-off will be - it's possible for one year to be 95 and the next year to be 99. This case is unlikely but it's possible - they can only take X amount of students so they will raise the bar if more quality students want to do it and lower the bar is less quality students apply.

inJust

HSC
It just depends on how many people this year wanna get into arts. If a lot of people want to, it'll go up. If not, it could even go down. So just aim high. The Uni Course market forces will work itself out. If you work hard enough, you'll get in.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks Cem I understand now! :) and thanks krnofdrg. I have the chance of receiving points too as I attended a program at UNSW and I can receive 8 points. :) Plus other ways to obtain points is great.

I actually thought those with a 96 would get in first, then if there are places with those of 91 and plus 5 points like you, or other plus points, would get offered last? I was thinking this the whole time.
91+5 would have an equal chance with someone with a 96 pure ATAR hehe :). Bonus points are 5 max also from UNSW hsc subjects. You would just need 1 band 6 and 5 also international studies is a degree that offers one of the most bonus points from hsc subjects.

This year's cutoff was also 94 :p haha in the January main round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)