Dads Banned from Wedding Isles (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Sweden bans dads in the aisle
Brides in Stockholm who want their fathers to walk them down the aisle are likely to be told it can't be done, as some pastors are refusing to allow the practice they say is sexist.

"In Sweden we have worked hard in many different ways to eliminate everything that is unequal,'' a Lutheran Church vicar in the Stockholm region, Yvonne Hallin, said.

She said she would not allow the custom in her parish, and noted that Stockholm's bishop issued a recommendation in 2003 that pastors discourage it.

Couples who marry ``are equal when it comes to finances, politics, values ... but when they come to the church ... the woman suddenly turns into a man's property'', she said.
In principle, I agree with this ban. But in practice, I'm sure it will be more difficult.

It's a really interesting concept to me. As if fathers really "give away" their daughters now moreso than the mothers anyway?

Have we finally culturally evolved so that this tradition's pointless?

What do you think?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Does it really even mean anything? It's just tradition isn't it? I don't see it as sexist at all.... but I would expect this kind of bullshit from religious people.

By the way... who decided that women were equal... not me... So using the fact that women are equal everywhere but at church doesn't justify this decision at all.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Its stupid to ban this custom. Sure I can understand dscouraging but to out right ban is just stupid. That starts to push your beliefs onto other people, and when somene is getting married they should be able to do so in any way they feel like

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE TO FAR.
I can see it on ACA or TT already.

Evilo

HSC
soon they will quote you as an expert on the show lol

i remember hsc time - the media swamps this place to find out the latest "goss" and take quotes from anonymous "students"

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Evilo said:
soon they will quote you as an expert on the show lol

i remember hsc time - the media swamps this place to find out the latest "goss" and take quotes from anonymous "students"
solid.

I'm making a list of people I want to kill thread, and filling it with Board Directors.

Evilo

HSC
champ_sammy_19 said:
oh i like that idea :D
lol "my school cheated the hsc, we all bribed the examiners and we could bring in notes.. my school is **** but don'ttell anyone" :p

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
An interesting idea.

But being a Daddy's girl, I'll want my Dad to give me away when I marry :D

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I've always felt it's not a matter of the father 'giving away' the daughter as it is about the recognition that there is a new person in the daughters life who cares about her as much as her parents do.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Yeah, that's basically it.

Why don't we make it 'the parents' giving away both sides of the couple? Too difficult logistically maybe.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
well there wouldn't really be any women in sweden who are virgins when they marry so the point is kind of lost anyway, isn't it? :D
lol

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Josie said:
Yeah, that's basically it.

Why don't we make it 'the parents' giving away both sides of the couple? Too difficult logistically maybe.
Yea, I think if a mum wanted to do it in particular then I can't see the problem.

Trisk

HSC
holy crap people will complain about anything these days

get over it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)