• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

De-Motivating (1 Viewer)

RGJ798

HSC
Despite me attempting to do more study than usual, my dad still tells me I don't do enough and gets into a huge lecture about how I'm going to fail life.

This makes me very angry, It makes me do less study. I think to myself
"Why would I do that dickhead a favour by studying!" When I tell him to not argue with me, it just makes things worse he goes off saying "Stop blaming it on me, your the lazy one that isn't doing any work!"

So it continues, I'll start studying, do an hour one night, then two the next until I'm doing 2-3 hours a night. He'll walk in while I'm watching TV telling me to go to HW when I say I already did it he goes Bull$hit and then I get de-motivated and do less.

What can I say to him that will make him listen and stop de-motivating me!?

leon4u

HSC
sit down and talk to him about what his doing that you dislike. It will work trust me. Do it now before it annoys you even more

yer8899

HSC
tell him that his criticism is having a negative effect on your study routine and if he says, 'stop making excuses', tell him to not say anything about being lazy for a month, and if your marks improve, he cant tell you off anymore.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
My dad does the complete opposite. Tells me the HSC means nothing (he never did it) and how it's not important for 'life'.
And always tries to 'teach me valuable lessons', which in the end make me not want to bother, at all.
And then there's mum, with all these crazy expectations.

Gah. I just wish dad wouldn't tell me it doesn't matter, because I have enough trouble motivating myself when I'm convincing myself it does matter.

Conclusion- both of these situations suck, and there needs to be a happy medium =|

RGJ798

HSC
leon4u said:
sit down and talk to him about what his doing that you dislike. It will work trust me. Do it now before it annoys you even more
I've attempted this before however he just tells me to stop blaming it on him. He is very narrow-minded.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
But are you doing the hsc for your parents?
Think about it, is the only thing you want from your UAI is satisfied parents?

Just think about what you want from the hsc and let that be your motivation.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Doing that "dickhead" a favour?

Dude, do you think that when your dad lies in his grave, he'll give a shit about whether you became a doctor or a toilet cleaner?

He's worried about you and your career. Ultimately, whose benefit is it when you find a reasonable job and income?

Nobody else but the selfish, spoilt, ungrateful you.

"Oh yea, he's just hoping that once I become a millionaire, I'll give some to him to spend"

Is that what you're thinking? If it is, you need to slap yourself a few times to wake yourself up from believing in this hypocritical bullshit.

Call me a dickhead if you want (you probably will, after calling your own father one), but that's the truth.

P.S: 3 hours a day is nothing, unless all you are aiming for is a 60 UAI or whatever you're not trying hard to achieve.

lionking1191

HSC
if you are doing the hsc for your parents then you might as well give up

BackCountrySnow

HSC
theshortykatt said:
i agree with ^^

dont do it for your dad.
study and get great marks for yourself and what you want to achieve.

just talk to him and get a third person involved to hold the peace and all.
whooa, Kat's back and her posts are better than ever!!!
welcome home.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Hollieee said:
My dad does the complete opposite. Tells me the HSC means nothing (he never did it) and how it's not important for 'life'.
And always tries to 'teach me valuable lessons', which in the end make me not want to bother, at all.
And then there's mum, with all these crazy expectations.

Gah. I just wish dad wouldn't tell me it doesn't matter, because I have enough trouble motivating myself when I'm convincing myself it does matter.

Conclusion- both of these situations suck, and there needs to be a happy medium =|
Your dad is like mine. He says the Hsc isnt important or any education. He thinks that studying is bad for my health and tells me off whenever I read a book or do homework, so I study when he is not around (that is, when he is at work). My mum, however, demotivates me as she yells and nags about being a try hard and how dumb I am.

Despite me attempting to do more study than usual, my dad still tells me I don't do enough and gets into a huge lecture about how I'm going to fail life.

This makes me very angry, It makes me do less study. I think to myself
"Why would I do that dickhead a favour by studying!" When I tell him to not argue with me, it just makes things worse he goes off saying "Stop blaming it on me, your the lazy one that isn't doing any work!"

So it continues, I'll start studying, do an hour one night, then two the next until I'm doing 2-3 hours a night. He'll walk in while I'm watching TV telling me to go to HW when I say I already did it he goes Bull$hit and then I get de-motivated and do less.

What can I say to him that will make him listen and stop de-motivating me!?
Your dad is like my mum. I've told her off once and said that she doesn't seem to love me but only cares about numbers (results). I then told her how much I hate her for only caring for things like that. and she never bothered me again. She did once, and I just said, 'I'll be fine.' and she stopped it. Just try saying something like that to him. I know what its like coz when my mum says stuff like that, I just feel like watching tv to make her angrier :confused: (for some reason)

morganjane

HSC
I have the same kinda issues with my mum, my dad lives four hours away and doesnt speak to me- so he's cool.
But she says im not doing enough, so then i pushed myself and i was doing around 6 hours an afternoon, and now im insane for working that hard- so its just contradictory. my old happy medium wasnt good enough, my new study ethic is too much, and if i slow it down i'll be back to square one so its a vicious cycle.

but i dont know...my marks have improved since pushing myself harder, all my ranks have improved, which is nice to see.

xXx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)