Debate Topic........That sport is our new religion (1 Viewer)

Sheehan16

Hello people,
I've just finished a debate and was quite shocked with the results..............I'd just like to know your perceptions and opinions on the matter.....so the stage is set..........lets begin.......just state firstly if ur for or against the case..:) im sure i'll get sum excellent responses.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Of course it is. Sport is the most intregral part of Australian culture, so much to the extent that is has become our "religion". It's not only Australia as well. Look at Italy for example, they live and die according to the fortunes of their soccer team.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i did a *similiar* debate to this last year. it was on a topic like sport represents our religion or politics and ra ra ra

santaslayer

HSC
Well it is quitwe subjective. Yes, people who love sport treat it as religion, but not the ones that don't fancy anything active. :p
It certainly is treated as 'religion' in Australia where sport news is often published in the first page!! :p

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by Sheehan16
Hello people,
I've just finished a debate and was quite shocked with the results..............I'd just like to know your perceptions and opinions on the matter.....so the stage is set..........lets begin.......just state firstly if ur for or against the case..:) im sure i'll get sum excellent responses.
were you against our skool??? (EHGTHS) Is that y there were some of you last wk and this wk???

Sheehan16

Kullazzi...........
yes i was the audience at the debate but i wasnt debating................the debate im talkin bout is the one yesterday.............by the way i go to EHBTH right next door......................hope to see ya

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by Sheehan16
Kullazzi...........
yes i was the audience at the debate but i wasnt debating................the debate im talkin bout is the one yesterday.............by the way i go to EHBTH right next door
yeah i realised when you connected with zahid.........and ur right in the opposite direction from our school :)

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
i didnt see what Ryddecker said but from the reply i'm guessing he said something along the lines of what i was thinking?

the first thing you have to do in debating is define the topic and this topic calls for a decision to be made as to whether or not it is being taken literally. sport is not a religion in the sense that a religion is 'A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader' , 'Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.' (i took those definitions from dictionary.com :p)

alot of debates can only really be properly discussed once the keywords have been defined and accepted by both teams, otherwise you will be using parallel arguements which means you both suck.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
i would have fun ripping an aff side in this debate... all u need 2 do is define rel n sport they are two different things... point out there diff n u will win... 2 easy, the topics this year are crap thou we have had...
1 that anzac day should replace aus day
2that tv trivilsesd the human experiance
3 that the olymics brings out the best in humanity

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
Originally posted by JamiL
the topics this year are crap thou we have had...
1 that anzac day should replace aus day
2that tv trivilsesd the human experiance
3 that the olymics brings out the best in humanity
they're the ones our school has done too.

JamiL

HSC
dont genralise some do... sport is a form of entertainment, hobbie to pass time... sometimes a job but it is not a religion it is to reverent and their are no "sacred scriptures"
Sport can be be as or more important 2 some ppl then religion but they are different... this could turn in2 a definition debate quiet easly and the aff would win but it is easly 2 challange the definition and take it litraly

Kuya

religion creates morals. a set of beliefs.. values.. that is what religion is and does. sport does not do these things.. and hence, cannot be classified as a religion.

JamiL

HSC
yer like i said u can take it litralty (that is what you would do if u were negative) but if u were afrmative you would take as that sport is becoming very important 2 use like a religion, not say that it is a religion thou (cos if u did u would lose) n aff has right of deff so this is how it wuld turn in2 a def debate... BORING... next plz this is gettn realy gay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)