• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Debian, TNT2 drivers, and low resolutions... (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Hey all..

Anyone here use Debian, or is familiar with it? I've been interested in getting it running for ages, but X would never work.. something about my crappy vid card and no drivers for it.. or something.

Anyway, so now I've got a laptop and my old compute rhas become the one I'm playing with debian on. So, the wonderful TNT2 actually works, and I get a lovely colour picture using the NV drivers.

However, it only goes up to 800x600. This looks rather painful on a 17" monitor, and I'm curious how to push that up. A very quick search on google shows other people with the same problem, but no real fixes. I really should be studying, so a more indepth google search will occur in a week or two's time... please no flames of "just google it" or anything similar.

(In a sudden fit of insight, I'm just about to go to Nividia's website looking for drivers)

Anyone been down this path? Any quick fixes?

Adrian.

HSC
Skittled said:
(In a sudden fit of insight, I'm just about to go to Nividia's website looking for drivers)
That's the way to go. Make sure you read the read me because you'll have to edit the XF86Config (I think that's it's name) file. In the file there is also a section on resolutions, you can enter your preferred resolution/s there.

blackbunny

HSC
Skittled said:
Hey all..

Anyone here use Debian, or is familiar with it? I've been interested in getting it running for ages, but X would never work.. something about my crappy vid card and no drivers for it.. or something.

Anyway, so now I've got a laptop and my old compute rhas become the one I'm playing with debian on. So, the wonderful TNT2 actually works, and I get a lovely colour picture using the NV drivers.

However, it only goes up to 800x600. This looks rather painful on a 17" monitor, and I'm curious how to push that up. A very quick search on google shows other people with the same problem, but no real fixes. I really should be studying, so a more indepth google search will occur in a week or two's time... please no flames of "just google it" or anything similar.

Anyone been down this path? Any quick fixes?
tnt2 is like 6 years ago. throw it away and get ati radeon 9600 xt or higher

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Adrian. said:
That's the way to go. Make sure you read the read me because you'll have to edit the XF86Config (I think that's it's name) file. In the file there is also a section on resolutions, you can enter your preferred resolution/s there.
Exactly.

Use your favourite editor, and as root:

# vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
(where vim is the name of your favourite editor, many people prefer pico and nano).

In the section dubbed "Screen", you'll have a list of different modes with resolutions.
Add: "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" to each resolution line.
Restart X (alt+ctrl+backspace is a way to kill X) and you should be good to go.

You *could* use dpkg-reconfigure, but I'm not sure which package you'd reconfigure to get the resolutions up. I've just edited the file. It saved entering other details again and again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)