• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Decaying and bombarding rules ... (1 Viewer)

HSC
I seem to have this a little rusty on my mind ...

Does anyone have like a table that shows what happends when you bombard with nuetrons, electrons and helium, the result (what happends to the element)

and what happends too the decay of alpha, beta and gamma

I do know the decay and that but I want to be sure ..

funking_you

G'day,

These two questions are actually very good ones!.

There is no real 'standard or common' way to predict what happens when you bombard elements with particles, i.e. what type of products will result.

However, there is what is called the 'Natural Radioactive Series', which illustrated the natural path of decay for most elements, check it our below:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/radser.html

In regards to your other question, "what happens to the decay species"...you can answer this yourself, just study the 'ionising ability' of each decay species (alpha, beta and gamma) to see what they do once they are produced.

Cheers,
George

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
Thanks for that george, but are we required too know what happends if you bombard elements with subatomic particles or helium nuclei?

ie. will they ask if I bombard Uranium with nuetrons, whats it going to do (I know what its going to do, but thats from memorising the equations) - they might pull out some random transuranic element and say how was this made ... understand where im going at?

Last edited:

funking_you

no you wont need to know that, even at university level, you wouldnt be expected to know that.

What they would test you on, which i'm sure you've seen before, is setting up the reaction, and ask you to 'fill in' the 'missing' species. Which is just balancing up the atomic numbers and respective masses.

Otherwise, its great to here you actually have learnt the reaction, it will be VERY useful to include it as an example in relevent questions.

HSC
Ah! and here I am worrying about it ... well I guess that helps me in alot of ways, thanks george

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)