Determining Coefficients (Binomial Theorem Help) (1 Viewer)

alussovsky

HSC
So from what I've learnt so far, you almost always have to find the general term first before finding out the coefficient of a term in binomial. I understand how to do these for normal expansions, but how do you go about finding the general terms of binomial expansions that have more than one bracket? Sorry for the probably incorrect terminology, lol.

For example, how would you go about finding the general term of for the coefficient of or for the coefficient of ?

For the first, I managed to get to but I'm not sure how to progress from there to make a single and equate that to the required coefficient term. Unless that's the completely wrong way to go about it...? Well anyway, thanks!

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The term in comes from combining (adding up) the product of 2 and the term in in the expansion of , the product of -5x and the term in and the product of and the term in .

alussovsky

HSC
The term in comes from combining (adding up) the product of 2 and the term in in the expansion of , the product of -5x and the term in and the product of and the term in .
Ah.. so I did do it the wrong way anyway, haha. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)