Difficulty of Admission: Interview (1 Viewer)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I can't find anything really firm on this... it's all rather vague.

Suppose you got a UAI of 99.5 + UMAT in 80-90 percentiles, what sort of interview performance do you need to pull off... and how do extracirricular activities come into it: how much do you have to do and does it have to match their preconceived ideas of "medicine" extracirriculars...

Thankyou.

[Careersearch = stress about med.]

Oh and also what good UMAT preps are there Is it worth getting the materials a year early?

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
which uni?
i hear that even with UNSW u still need a good 'interview' mark... or despite ure interview

i think team things and goal setting plus stress management play a big part.. but usualli in other unis.. UNSW is more keen on ure family unit and their influence on u.. unsw has a unique interview.. its fairly non-aggressive compared to Newcastle..

preps are iffy..they prepare u for the type of questions... they usualli hav leaked or similar questions and provide an answer.. but whether their answer are right is a separate question..
i do not think they are very good..

Estel

Tutor
HSC
yeh aiming for UNSW

do team things like debating/prefect count? cuz I don't do a team sport rite now, I'm scouting, but it'll sound bad when they ask for how long... what to do?
how can you prove goal setting/stress management?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
they usualli want to kno how u perform in team situation... and resolve issues in them

they want to kno how u aim to manage thru the course since its depressing and a bit stressful at times..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Just make sure you don't tell them about being desensitised to cadavers by www.rotten.com

The interview marks range from A to E, and in general only candidates scoring A or B are accepted (exceptional and very good, respectively). Anything lower than C would require astronomical marks, since the trend at UNSW seems to focus more on academic performance than personality of candidates (a major failure, in my opinion).

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Suppose you got a UAI of 99.5 + UMAT in 80-90 percentiles, what sort of interview performance do you need to pull off... and how do extracirricular activities come into it: how much do you have to do and does it have to match their preconceived ideas of "medicine" extracirriculars...
I dunno, I mean, where exactly do you want to apply for (keeping in mind that some unis don't require a interview)? Respective universities place different emphases on different aspects of the entrance criteria. I'm assuming you're interested in UNSW, in that case I firmly believe that youd have to have a very impressive UAI AND interview score (I remember last year one guy from Ruse with 100 didn't get in). In terms of extracurriculars all unis are the same- they are looking for that special thing which sets you apart from the hundreds of others also applying. As Lexi aptly put it, they all know you have brains so they now want to know who you are as a person and whether the attitudes, skills and knowledge you have acquired during your lifetime will necessarily translate into the medical field. As such, although it may seem arbritrary, there are no defined activities which they want to hear from you. For example, at the expense of potential ridicule I boldy stated that I was vice-captain of first grade rifle shooting in 2003 to demonstrate team abilities. The physician dude from UNSW seemed disturbed by this and asked if it was a particularly violent sport, whilst at Newcastle they didn't bat an eye. It depends on who you have as interviewers.
As for the question of how much to do, that's a really difficult question to answer and I won't answer that cos it's not like you're suddenly going to find some new extracurricular activities to do in the event that you didn't cut the mark.
Based on my experiences, I can break if down for you like, but obviously there is going to be some element of bias involved so you should ask several sources before coming to your own impression.
Here it is:

UNSW
I thought that the interviewers were quite exasperated at my responses, maybe because I didn't have anything unique to say but probably because it was 5pm and they were looking forward to going home and having a quiet one. I won't disclose any questions specifically as I am bound by a condfidentiality clause, however I can say that they are very much interested in who you are as a person (as evidenced by the CV pre-requisite and general orientation of the questions) as well as your personal background. I had the impression they were trying to probe into my personal life and try to trip me up, which is okay with me because I don;'t have anything to hide but it wouldn't be a good idea to lie, cos you might end up hanging yourself on your own noose as they say. There are two interviewers (one physician and one member representing the community, one male and one female) sitting opposite you at a table and you are provided with a cup of water. They will try to make you feel comfotable (apparently) but I didn't feel that was the case in mine.
Another note to bear in mind is that they are running on a tight schedule so they just fire questions at you that have been preapred beforehand. Expect an interrogatory interview, which might be confronting at times.

Newcastle
Very relaxed atmosphere and again the physical orientation is the same as UNSW (minus the table). The interviewers ask you more about what you would do in a certain situation, and give you several scenarios printed on a card which you must read over carefully at your own leisure before replying. I remember I was asked "Your child is diagnosed with a serious life-threatening condition which will probably kill her within a few years if left untreated. There is currently no medical intervention available. However, researchers claim that they may have the solution and there is a small chance that it would improve her situation, although side effects are still relatively unknown and could potentially be very risky. What would you do in this circumstance and why?" If I remember correctly, they didnt ask me to list my acheivements verbatim but by and large youll have to confront them indirectly, eg. "What have you done which would indicate that you have a willingness to serve the interests of the community in the future?"

Monash
Very much the same as Newcastle, except there are three people. As a Monash student, I must say that I've seen the best and the worst of UMAT and ENTER (the Vic equivalent of UAI) scores- supporting the fact that the interview is still really important and who you are as a person. In fact, I am yet to meet a student who fits into the definition of 'nerdy' as they are all very interesting and actually do get pissed often, contrary to popular belief (Whereas if u meet a person from Melbourne Uni they might ask you first 'What was your ENTER and UMAT? You Monashite you' And I kid you not).

Western Australia
Hmm in all seriousness, I forgot! Was quite a while ago but I do remember that there were two female interviewers (one of them a practitioner). I do know that I really impressed the interviewers because they said I would get into their med school, was just too euphoric to think about other things.

So all differences aside, the general rules for sitting an interview still apply. What I have found really hits the high notes with the interviewers is to remain polite and courteous at all times. At the outset remember to introduce yourself and ask for their names if they don't ask you first, and remember them. Occasionally make a joke, maintain eye contact and indicate interest through leaning upright and slightly forwards. Don't cross your legs. etc etc...seems all straightforwards to me.
One thing I can't stress enough is stop stressing!

Seriously, I know you are all trying to understand every little nuance of every interview but when the time comes, these things will be the last in your mind. If you go in there with a confident and relaxed attitude, you won't have to worry about what to say because these things will come naturally. Plus, your answers will not sound so ostentatious and/or contrived. I can say this because I made the same mistake with my UNSW interview by trying to predict what questions they would ask and buffing my potential answers. Bad mistake.

So all in all, stop stressing out about the interviews people! Sorry to be blunt but you don't even know if you are going to be guaranteeed one yet so don't compund your troubles, you have enough already as it is.

Now, back to studying for the UMAT!

Lexicographer edit: formatting + readability (no content changes)

Last edited by a moderator:

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
the trend at UNSW seems to focus more on academic performance than personality of candidates (a major failure, in my opinion).
And you know this....how? I was of the impression that a lot of my colleagues didn't generally get astronomical UAIs + UMAT scores. You actually beat quite a few of them in the UMAT. And in case you've forgotten, Mr. V Mok didn't get in w/ 100 either.

And talking about personality - a lot of people have plenty of personality. Not all do, of course, but as a whole the make up of our year is extremely different from the years above.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sorry, my research isn't finished. :)

I was saying the emphasis seems to be placed greatest on the academic performance (UAI not UMAT) with the other two given secondary consideration. I know a lot of attention is given to interview performance (from what UNSW tells people and what those people are allowed to tell me) but it still doesn't seem to be the thing that matters most for them.

Anyway, don't take my statements about UNSW as the final word - I'm not studying there and you are.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmm interesting @ wilson..
U went to UWA :| .. i turned tat one down.. too far.. did u go to adel? out of curiousity..
honestly i liked newcastle and monash interviews..std interviews.... but a bit of nerves and ure gone :S

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Skywalker said:
And you know this....how? I was of the impression that a lot of my colleagues didn't generally get astronomical UAIs + UMAT scores. You actually beat quite a few of them in the UMAT. And in case you've forgotten, Mr. V Mok didn't get in w/ 100 either.

And talking about personality - a lot of people have plenty of personality. Not all do, of course, but as a whole the make up of our year is extremely different from the years above.
hehe from the ppl at UNSW it is pretti tame.. :)
i hear lik Tassie girls n ANU are quite.. interesting.. and UWA, monash n newcastle are more .. outgoing..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i didnt apply for adelaide cos at that time i had enough trouble as it was trying to convince my parents to let me jet to melbourne and perth, so in the end it all came down to money. i wish i had though, would have given me greater peace of mind...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lolz i was planning not to apply to adel .. and almost missed out.. i was so disorganised
im glad i did.. but i swear med admissions are almost random.. cos lik some ppl should so not be in med..

btw wilson.. u live in clayton? college? house? w or w/o roomies?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Lexicographer: on what basis do they decide A, B, C?

inasero: thankyou for that very long post. But how did you study for the UMAT? Is it worth doing stuff like Dallas, and if so is it worth getting the resources a year early?

Thankyou for all your posts. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The ranks assigned at the UNSW interviews are basically set to certain guidelines provided by the faculty. It is then up to the interviewers to decide how a candidate fits these guidelines. Obviously I can't say much more, because I didn't get a UNSW interview (and never will) - but it is my understanding that the information you're looking for is buried somewhere in the Med@UNSW site www.med.unsw.edu.au (it would certainly be a good idea to read that massive course outline and philosophy thing and read it, may help plan what you write in your CV).

"Studying" for UMAT is in my opinion a very poorly expressed idea, since the UMAT is not knowledge based. More appropriate would be "preparing", as you are best described as honing pre-existing skills. After all, the UMAT is built to see if you think in a way that ACER thinks good doctors naturally should. If you aren't what they're looking for then no amount of preparation will change this.

That said, getting the materials early would be an excellent idea. Starting early means you have more time (and less pressure) to get used to those blasted shapes in §III though apparently they won't be in next year's UMAT. This is just a rumour though, so assume that they will. Can't talk about the prep courses since I haven't done any. :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
btw wilson.. u live in clayton? college? house? w or w/o roomies?
i live near clayton campus in oakleigh east (next suburb) and my situation is strange...although I am living homestay, I live in a unit with two floors. My homestay parents live on the top floor and I live with my housemates on the bottom floor, so I guess I experience the best of both worlds :)

But how did you study for the UMAT? Is it worth doing stuff like Dallas, and if so is it worth getting the resources a year early?
As Robert mentioned, it's not something you can study for as much as preparing for it (but he may just be being anal). What I found is that you CAN prepare for the UMAT in two ways:
1) Understanding the types of questions you are likely to be asked in each section, and the likely approached you should take to solving them.
2) The structure of the test itself and a good understanding of the time constraints involved.

For this, I would highly recommend you go to a preparatory course but not Dallas as he is highly condescending and this would affect your confidence and self-esteem on the test date. I attended AMEPP preparatory course and found it to be extremely helpful in sections 1 and 3 (useless for section 2) so you might consider going there. I can't say anything for other courses but you should check out past students' experiences at www.ausmedstudent.com/forum(s), i forgot if it has an 's' on the end or not.
As for when to acquire the resources, the UMAT is increasing in length every year, and there are different types of questions released. For example, I remember that in 2002 they had only finding weird shapes in section 3, but in 2003 we had 'visual logic' problems, where you are given a sequence of diagrams and required to elicit the next shape in the sequence. Another reason that getting them early isnt necessarily better is that you might study the materials a few months before the UMAT but forget afterwards, so if you are going to prepare early make sure you brush up on it just b4 the UMAT. Hmm what else is there? I know that plenty of students won't go to prep cos it's quite expensive or that they feel that its contrary to the nature of the test, that is, to gauge the individual psychometric abilities of the students. But I can assure you that those who do go won't be thinking about such things. They will be brainstorming about how to maximise their marks. In the very least, if you don't go to prep then read up on logic puzzles such as the 'syllogism' and for section three, go buy some mensa books or purchase 'agoneyes' by ryan shulman, which i believe is an excellent program. For section 2, just use common sense you have acquired on the nasis of your interactions with friends, family etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)