• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Diffrence between Information processes and technology (IPT) and the new Enterprise computing syllabus (1 Viewer)

Frost1

HSC
In Year 10, irrelevent but i have a small cohort 45-50 kids. Ive got subject slection expression of interest coming up.

I will be the second year to go through the new Syllabus for Enterprise.
My brother did IPT and has notes etc.

is this new syllabus much harder? major difference? still a ‘good’ pick

thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I cannot comment on the difficulty of Enterprise Computing compared to Information Processes and Technology. Similarly, it is not possible to gain insight regarding the Enterprise Computing year 12 course because the HSC class of 2025 has yet to start it, although perhaps current students would be able to share their thoughts about the year 11 course.

In terms of the difference between the two, it would be reasonable to assume that there is a significant difference. IPT was assessed for a long time, during which some of the technologies that it covered became out-of-date, as well as some new technologies being released that the subject did not cover. As such, Enterprise Computing constitutes an update in that regard. The topics themselves are different across both the year 11 course and the year 12 course. A significant content-related change is the removal of option topics. In the IPT HSC course, there were 4 option topics (known as option strands), two of which must be studied in addition to the three mandatory topics. There were also changes made to the HSC exam, mainly:
  • A computer-based exam compared to the normal paper-based IPT HSC exam.
  • The duration of the exam has been shortened to 2 hours and 30 minutes including 10 minutes reading time, as opposed to an IPT HSC exam, which is 3 hours long and includes 5 minutes reading time.
There are other changes, which you can view on the Enterprise Computing syllabus page under "What has changed?".

Overall, Enterprise Computing seems interesting. You can definitely take it in year 11 and based on your experience, you can decide whether you wish to keep it or drop it.

I hope this helps! :D

Frost1

HSC
I cannot comment on the difficulty of Enterprise Computing compared to Information Processes and Technology. Similarly, it is not possible to gain insight regarding the Enterprise Computing year 12 course because the HSC class of 2025 has yet to start it, although perhaps current students would be able to share their thoughts about the year 11 course.

In terms of the difference between the two, it would be reasonable to assume that there is a significant difference. IPT was assessed for a long time, during which some of the technologies that it covered became out-of-date, as well as some new technologies being released that the subject did not cover. As such, Enterprise Computing constitutes an update in that regard. The topics themselves are different across both the year 11 course and the year 12 course. A significant content-related change is the removal of option topics. In the IPT HSC course, there were 4 option topics (known as option strands), two of which must be studied in addition to the three mandatory topics. There were also changes made to the HSC exam, mainly:
  • A computer-based exam compared to the normal paper-based IPT HSC exam.
  • The duration of the exam has been shortened to 2 hours and 30 minutes including 10 minutes reading time, as opposed to an IPT HSC exam, which is 3 hours long and includes 5 minutes reading time.
There are other changes, which you can view on the under "What has changed?".

Overall, Enterprise Computing seems interesting. You can definitely take it in year 11 and based on your experience, you can decide whether you wish to keep it or drop it.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you for your thorough reply! I really appreciate it in terms of dropping a subject what are you thoughts? Our school specifically principal heavily advises against dropping since you have “the units to fall back on” etc. however I thought that leaves you more time for studying and prioritising other subjects

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for your thorough reply! I really appreciate it in terms of dropping a subject what are you thoughts? Our school specifically principal heavily advises against dropping since you have “the units to fall back on” etc. however I thought that leaves you more time for studying and prioritising other subjects
No worries! Both perspectives are valid and many students achieve outstanding results with 10 and 10+ units. Determining whether you should keep only 10 units or more than 10 units in year 12 will involve considering your own experience in year 11. If you find that you are performing well in your main 10 units, and that you strongly believe that this will continue in year 12, you may not need more than 10 units, in which case you can drop the backup units and allocate the additional study time gained towards your main 10 units. However, if by the end of year 11, there is a subject that you are not sure whether you can maintain a high level of performance in year 12, it would be good to keep 1-2 backup units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)