• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dilemma (1 Viewer)

skaterboy1214

HSC
hello guys!

I currently have this major dilemma about studying Physiotherapy or Law. I know you guys will say do what i love but I am honestly unsure about what i really want. To give an insight about me, I find studying the human anatomy interesting but I do not mind law. I loved studying family and criminal law in legal studies in high school. However, I don't like studying human rights and all those UN things. I know this is a negative thing but I am those type of learners who perform well through memorising content more..so I don't enjoy those chem subjects. I really want a good job stability and honestly, a high salary because I am willing to put in the effort and study very hard to achieve it. I will work for others once i graduate and would love to open my own firm or clinic once i gain sufficient experience. i am aware that my atar (96) is not sufficient for UNSW nor USYD law, including USYD physio. However, if i do decide Physio, I will study at UWS since they are giving me regional bonus points while for law...i haven't thought about the uni yet; perhaps Macquarie or UTS. I might consider doing a combined law degree such as with commerce so that I can have the backup of 2 careers but i am not sure. I would appreciate if someone can give me an honest opinion please.

Thanks

HSC
This is my dilemma too. I love anatomy and I have the same issue as you on legal studies! UN/HR really does my head in. Right now I am thinking about doing physio because I feel like law is such a broad category and there are heaps of people doing it. ACU and UON have 96 ATAR cut off for physio.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Law - the fast track to parliament where you can pass as many destructive statutes as possible to regulate every aspect of our lives while simultaneously providing work for all your "lawyer friends". :haha:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm questioning this apparent dilemma because those are two vastly different fields.

Are you sure you want to be one of these for the rest of your life? (Or at least, a large portion of it)

madharris

HSC
N/A
From my knowledge, physio is a pretty difficult degree subjectwise wise (not really sure how difficult it is in relation to law though). However, most of the subjects are really interesting and fun. The course as a whole is different from your everyday course as it's practical and throughout the course, you're learning about professional practice and your career as a whole.

Physio in itself is a rewarding career as you're helping individuals to live a better life.

I'm too tired! I hope that even made sense! haha :) Good luck :)

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Law gives you a wider range of options once leaving uni.
hahaahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Don't listen to this guy. Do physiotherapy. There are tonnes of jobs in physiotherapy, especially for a hard worker who applies himself as a student gets decent results. If you do law, a number of things will conspire against you in the job market, such as the overproduction of law students and the fact that you didn't go to a Go8 law school. The working conditions in physio are far, far better than in law, and you get to engage with people on a personal level. The pay is good, especially on a per hour basis.

Your interest in international politics, human rights etc. can be satiated through wide reading and being engaged.

Jinks

HSC
hahaahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Don't listen to this guy. Do physiotherapy. There are tonnes of jobs in physiotherapy, especially for a hard worker who applies himself as a student gets decent results. If you do law, a number of things will conspire against you in the job market, such as the overproduction of law students and the fact that you didn't go to a Go8 law school. The working conditions in physio are far, far better than in law, and you get to engage with people on a personal level. The pay is good, especially on a per hour basis.

Your interest in international politics, human rights etc. can be satiated through wide reading and being engaged.
"WIDER RANGE OF OPTIONS" is different from the amount of jobs. Im pretty sure if you do physiotherapy you can guess what job you're going to get when you graduate

EDIT: and if you actually read the post you would realise they explicitly state they don't have an interest in HR

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
"WIDER RANGE OF OPTIONS" is different from the amount of jobs. Im pretty sure if you do physiotherapy you can guess what job you're going to get when you graduate

EDIT: and if you actually read the post you would realise they explicitly state they don't have an interest in HR
Reading comprehension fail on my part, and yet ironically another reason not to do law - you're not interested in a significant part of the content. Regardless, the notion that studying law gives you a "wider range of options" is, generally speaking, a PR myth perpetuated by universities and recruitment agencies. Yes, employment prospects for law grads aren't bad - but they're by no means exceptional, and nowhere near as good as physiotherapy which, in fact, does give you a wide range of options (institutional physiotherapy, private practice, rehab, etc).

lawstu

HSC
Law - the fast track to parliament where you can pass as many destructive statutes as possible to regulate every aspect of our lives while simultaneously providing work for all your "lawyer friends". :haha:
I split my sides laughing.

If you're a normal human being, you probably won't want to end up in corporations law. (Good luck with doing that among your Priestley 11.) Doing an LL.B./B.Comm. may not be what you are really into. Perhaps you could do an LL.B./B.Sc. (Anatomy). If you're still passionate about physiotherapy or whatever then, you could do that later.

Really think about what you want and weigh things up. As far as I can see, there's not too much to go on or to suggest as advice. Sorry.

Not to rain on your parade or dispel an untruth, but lawyers aren't the posterpeople for high salaries. Also, high-school Legal Studies and whatever prior experience of 'law' barely skims the surface, if it at all reflects, legal studies (i.e., studies of law in a law school). Legal studies themselves aren't reflective of practice. In fact, legal studies are essentially good for very little in the law other than judicial dispensing of cases. (Please note that I am being somewhat facetious, but there is a grain of truth in this.)

Finally, not being competitive enough for University of Sydney or UNSW may be a blessing in disguise or there may yet be a silver lining. Both of these schools more or less force you to do int. law or human rights-type courses, whereas Macq U and UTS do not (right?).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)