Disadvantage (2 Viewers)

v sia

HSC
How does it work ???

How much is the maximum marks it can add ??

How can you apply ?

Isnt it kind of cheating in a way ???

This is disadvantage for the HSC btw

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i think they mean where you can apply for extra points if you have had difficult circumstances this year eg you were in hospital for a long time.. a family member died.. or something that happened which didnt allow you to perform to your fullest potential
people really shouldnt be exploiting that and year coordinators know if students are disadvantaged or not [if you suddenly say you were beat up by your parents or something you need to prove it] so they help people with applying for it

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Access scheme?

It works by you submitting an application form providing evidence for you 'disadvantages' and getting someone to verify them in the end. Submission has closed.

Maximum marks it "adds" is for most unis, 5, but at UTS, social science courses can add up to 10

You wouldve applied by getting an application form from your principal

Cheating? Unless you have a reasonable and exceptional disadvantage then i beleive it is right. Like cro-angel said, lots of people take advantage of it and in the end, some people who are truly disadvantaged miss out.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
I assume this is EAS? Different universities add a different amount of points, I think UTS adds up to 10? and USYD etc adds up to 5...

Btw, it's too late to apply for EAS. Applications closed 30th September. It's not like UAC where you pay a late fee and still put in your application, if you try and apply now they'll send it all back to you. If you are disadvantaged on the day of exams, the best you can hope for is misadventure.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
v sia said:
How does it work ???

How much is the maximum marks it can add ??

How can you apply ?

Isnt it kind of cheating in a way ???

This is disadvantage for the HSC btw
no it isn't.
it's to help people who have suffered disadvantage through yrs 11 and 12....they have quite extensive criteria...if they get it, they definitely deserve it.
like the others said, about 5 to your UAI but less for high demand courses like law.

mack

Banned
HSC
And also note its not "scabbing 5 UAI points" either. It is only for people who have been victim to extreme circumstances such as death of a family member. If you are sick on the day of the exam they will use your moderated assessment mark as your exam mark.

It is certainly not cheating. In the Xmas holidays a girl at my school was in a car accident near Yamba, where her mum was killed instantly and she herself lost her leg from the knee down. I think she deserves it myself. I wouldnt call that cheating.

smallcattle

HSC
what if some people had a major illness on 29 of Sept and stayed in the Hospital until 17 of Oct.. i wonder what should they do

BabySilver

HSC
smallcattle said:
what if some people had a major illness on 29 of Sept and stayed in the Hospital until 17 of Oct.. i wonder what should they do
surely if someone was sick from late sept they would quailify from misadventure at least. I was sick from early may to late june and due to it being so severe I am getting re occurences every time i go off medication for more then 2 weeks, so now 9 days before my exams start, I have been given the flu by a good looking american (who was going to avoid me to make sure he didn't get sick, how rude) and it's making my tonsills act up, plus my lymph nodes are starting to swell. so basicaally i could end up in hospital getting emergancy tonsilectomy instead of doing my exam, which will suck cause i did so bad during the year cause i was so sick. I did the HSC course in one year at tafe, so of 26 learning weeks, i had around 6 off entirely and 10 where i only felt able to go to 2 or three lessons a day, my marks through the year, espically from the trials are crap.

In someways it is scabbing an easy 5 uai points.. i mean going for it just cause you are on austudy or youth allowence is a bit wrong, unless it truley impacted on your studies, though it didn't impact on mine when i was in high school.

HSC
im getting educational disadvantage because i develped chronic fatigue right at the end of may and ive been sick ever since.but its not always good coz some unis dont accept edu disadvantage if you also get special provisions (which i also have) like charles sturt.

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
You really shouldn't apply for special consideration or anything like that. Everyone tells me that I should apply for it because of learning disabilities, but I refuse to.

I think that if I am actually going to make a success of myself in this life, it shouldn't be via special consideration.

To be perfectly honest, if you're to dumb to get into a uni course, then thats life. If you really want to get into it and don't get in the first round, you should go do something about it, e.g. Go to TAFE and then apply for uni.

As I said, I refuse to apply for special consideration. I want to be RANKED equally with everyone else based on EQUAL WORK (not less).

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
life.like.that. said:
im getting educational disadvantage because i develped chronic fatigue right at the end of may and ive been sick ever since.but its not always good coz some unis dont accept edu disadvantage if you also get special provisions (which i also have) like charles sturt.
Go get yourself some Dexamphetamine or Ritalin from the psychiatrist. That should help your condition.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
its nott fuckng cheating some ppl out there are actually disadvantaged... and could potentially achieve a lot more

stop thinking so selfishly

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
exactly
systems arn;t made to cater to ppl who cheat
obviously helping the people who really need it outweighs any loser who tries to cheat it

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The UAI is basically a measure of how suited you are to university, if you have a major illness then your marks will not reflect it thats what this is for.

rumour

HSC
One of the girls at my school is getting about 20 extra minutes in the exams, cause she has a tumour in her thumb!!!(Non-cancerous of course)

Last edited:

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Point is, some people claim special consideration due to all types of disorders. I wasn't picking on the original poster.

My post was directed at them. If you cant hack it, you cant hack it. Simple. I have a "disorder" but ill refuse to claim anything anywhere. I think if I cant hack it in the education world, how the hell could a person hack it in the REAL WORLD? Employers don't make special considerations.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For those trying to con their way out of tests, get those precious few marks, etc.

Do you really think noone else has tried it before.

Study, do your best, thats it.

Dont let the pressure get to you and start trying to come up with a crazy scheme cos you dont think you'll do well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)