do we need to ? (1 Viewer)

Alkenes

HSC
N/A
hey guys

i do MX 1 and MX 2.
Do we need to know compound interest etc for 3/4 unit?

Coz i havent seen any question in any 3/4 unit exam so far...

thannxx

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Not explicitly, but as part of the 2u course - you can be asked it in 3u, in a harder application.

And even in 4u where you'll get a harder application... maybe something like proving the formula that you just mechanically use over and over in 2u, without knowing where it came from.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not explicitly, but as part of the 2u course - you can be asked it in 3u, in a harder application.

And even in 4u where you'll get a harder application... maybe something like proving the formula that you just mechanically use over and over in 2u, without knowing where it came from.
Actually 2009 HSC Q8 (a) in 4U paper gave a bit of a taste for the fact that a large number interations of the compound interest formula yields the equivalent exponential formula, because:

I wouldn't be surprised if a HSC question popped up where (a) is to prove the above formula (pretty easy using Upper/Lower rectangles), (b) is to construct a T_n expression for the amount in a bank after n days then (c) is to approximate a very large value of n for T_n using the limit definition of e (the one above not the series one) in such a way that we can't directly sub say n=100000000000000000000 into the expression found in part (b). I also wouldn't be surprised if they wanted us to calculate the margin of error and to find out the minimal n such that the error margin is less than say p% relative to the approximated amount (though ofc relative to real amount would be optimal).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)