Doctors Certificate HELP (1 Viewer)

whitelder

2005 Grad Student
HSC
On Monday who do I give my doctors certificate to to state that I am unwell. I have just come down with Pharingitis and it wont be gone before monday so who do I give the doctors cert to? Anyone know??

Guernica

HSC
I advise you go to school as early as you can (so you don't run out of time and end up rushing), and ask around about who you will give it to - probably your deputy principal... or, that's who I would see at my school.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You have to fill out an illness/misadventure form (Avaliable from an exam supervisor i believe), and attach the D.C to it...

HSC
whitelder said:
On Monday who do I give my doctors certificate to to state that I am unwell. I have just come down with Pharingitis and it wont be gone before monday so who do I give the doctors cert to? Anyone know??
This turns into a Board of Studies issue, has pretty much nothing to do with the school. So you had better have a very very good reason for not going.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
MasterOfDisgyis said:
This turns into a Board of Studies issue, has pretty much nothing to do with the school. So you had better have a very very good reason for not going.

pharingitis is a pretty good reason

rama_v

HSC
Ring up the school, ask the principal what to do. Make sure you do it ASAP, well before the exam starts on monday

HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
pharingitis is a pretty good reason
Pharyngitis is caused by a variety of microorganisms. Most cases are caused by a virus, including the virus causing the common cold, flu (influenza virus), adenovirus, mononucleosis, HIV, and various others.

Bacterial causes include Group A streptococcus, which causes strep throat, in addition to corynebacterium, arcanobacterium, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia pneumoniae, and others. In up to 30% of cases, no organism is identified.

Most cases of pharyngitis occur during the colder months -- during respiratory disease season. It often spreads among family members.

Strep throat is a serious cause of pharyngitis. The complications of strep throat can include acute rheumatic fever, kidney dysfunction, and severe diseases such as bacteremia and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000655.htm

It does seem very serious when you read through that. I think I would rather not have it.

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
whitelder said:

OMG that is so freaaaky, i have EXACTLY THE SAME THING and i just came down with it as well.... my doc didnt give me a certificate though... he said to apply for special provisions and then he will fill out the forms or something...

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
you mean they can take into consideration that we're sick while we're doing an exam?
cause i want to do my exams
but ive taken 9 tablets so far today :|

HSC
muselara said:
you mean they can take into consideration that we're sick while we're doing an exam?
cause i want to do my exams
but ive taken 9 tablets so far today :|
I think you can also opt to do the exam even if you're sick and then they take into consideration that you were sick and then do some mathematical thing to come out with a fair result.

^___^
HSC
if you are sick, and can prove you are not suitable to sit for the test, Board of Studies will not force you to sit the exam. They take this issue very seriously, and apparently they will follow up every single case and ring up the doctor personally to check. So a simple case of flu will not be sufficient whereas in your case, yes you are more likely to sit out than sitting in one.
How they get your mark will depend on various issues (i think you can dig it up somewhere on this/board of studies site)

Disclaimer: I'm only speaking from personally experience

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
do they really do that? or do they look at your trial mark and your hsc mark and give you the average of the two, or the higher one or something like that?

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
ohh. shit. oh well i'll think about it. the green stuff im coughing up must mean something haha.

i dont mean to sound like im scraping marks or anything.
i mean im already eligible for EAS due to 4 deaths in 2 weeks. so yeah. just wondering what would happen in that situation now that im sick too.

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
... said:
if you are sick, and can prove you are not suitable to sit for the test, Board of Studies will not force you to sit the exam. They take this issue very seriously, and apparently they will follow up every single case and ring up the doctor personally to check. So a simple case of flu will not be sufficient whereas in your case, yes you are more likely to sit out than sitting in one.
How they get your mark will depend on various issues (i think you can dig it up somewhere on this/board of studies site)

Disclaimer: I'm only speaking from personally experience

so, question: since my doctor didnt give me a certificate... and its not JUST the flu although thats wat it looks like... will they make me sit it? and also, if this thing is contagious, arent i a hazard to everyone else in the exam hall? and if they do make me sit it, do you think they'd grant me a writer to write for me on the day? cos i pretty much am having to blow my nose 100 times an hr and my hands are a little shaky... and dont forget the headspins..

if i couldnt sit the exam, how would they determine my mark?

HSC
... said:
and apparently they will follow up every single case and ring up the doctor personally to check.
And if I was the treating doctor I would tell them to read what I wrote and not to call me up requesting patient information because it's none of their business.

So a simple case of flu will not be sufficient
Yes a flu case is sufficient. You know the flu is a serious illness that can become very serious if not treated properly? These Board of Studies public servants are not doctors. If a doctor has written a letter stating that a person cannot do an exam on a specific date, than thats how it is. Some people die from the flu. I think you mean the common cold.

However if you can detect the flu quick enough the doctor can prescribe Tamiflu or Relenza, these are anti-viral drugs specific for the flu virus (relenza being the better one for people who don't have asthma etc). But the flu has to be detected within 48 hours, after that timeframe these drugs become useless.

HSC
xox_eMz_xox said:
where do they get your marks if you dont sit the test?
They use the total of your in-class assessment items instead. This mark is then moderated like all the other exams are.

So if you have done really poorly in class, then the exam is your last hope. This is why they tell you to not be lazy while at school just incase something like this happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)