• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does applying for several courses decrease your chances? (1 Viewer)

Symphonicity

HSC
Uni Grad
Someone put this to me today and it got me thinking. If you put say four different universities in your preferences, do the universities see that whole list and does it affect your attractiveness as a candidate? Is it better to apply for a few different courses at two universities instead of the same one at four?

D94

HSC
N/A
No.
Given the first response is No, then No.

UAC handles the offers, so their system is simply, if you meet the ATAR cutoff and it's your highest preference, you get an offer. If you don't get an offer for that preference, they move to the next preference and apply the same conditions, and so on until you receive an offer or you are unsuccessful.

There's no discrimination based on how many different universities or preferences.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Nope, the way course position allocation (through UAC) works is very algorithmic in courses with no additional criteria besides ATAR or equivalent. The only exception i'm aware of is early round offers where the university will often request that the course be your highest preference. Unfortunately i'm not sure if it works differently for non recent school leavers but I don't see any reason why it would.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
It does not decrease your chance. The course you put at the top will be considered first and then the rest will be considered . E.g. 1, then 2, then 3.

Symphonicity

HSC
Uni Grad
That's what I expected. Thanks a lot for confirming.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Someone put this to me today and it got me thinking. If you put say four different universities in your preferences, do the universities see that whole list and does it affect your attractiveness as a candidate? Is it better to apply for a few different courses at two universities instead of the same one at four?
Nope, it just means you get to cast more lines and have opportunity to be considered by more places. I recommend applying for as many unis, scholarships, colleges etc. because it means you have more options at the end when you have your score :D

UAC/VTAC etc. don't care if a course is your 1, or your 9th-if you meet the entry you are considered equally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)