Does the Board of Studies actually use the assessment mark submitted by the school? (1 Viewer)

bleh1234

HSC
N/A
Or do they look at your mark for your HSC exam and then compare it to your year group and use this to estimate your assessment mark? I'm getting told different things by everyone. Some of my teachers say that 'it's not the mark that matters, it's the rank.'
I think my question is a bit ambiguous so I'm going to use a very unrealistic example:
Say Student A goes to James Ruse, and Student B goes to an average school. Student B is smarter than A, but for some weird reason, his/her school gives harder assessments and B ends up with the top mark in his school of 70 whereas A ends up with a top mark of 100. On the day of the test, B beats A- gets 100, whereas A gets 90. Does A necessarily end up with 95 and B necessarily end up with 85?
Thank you to anyone who clarifies this for me! :D (sorry if it's a silly question)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Does the Board of Studies actually use the assessment mark submitted by the schoo

Or do they look at your mark for your HSC exam and then compare it to your year group and use this to estimate your assessment mark? I'm getting told different things by everyone. Some of my teachers say that 'it's not the mark that matters, it's the rank.'
I think my question is a bit ambiguous so I'm going to use a very unrealistic example:
Say Student A goes to James Ruse, and Student B goes to an average school. Student B is smarter than A, but for some weird reason, his/her school gives harder assessments and B ends up with the top mark in his school of 70 whereas A ends up with a top mark of 100. On the day of the test, B beats A- gets 100, whereas A gets 90. Does A necessarily end up with 95 and B necessarily end up with 85?
Thank you to anyone who clarifies this for me! :D (sorry if it's a silly question)
The student with the school sent in mark of 70 would end up with a final HSC mark of 100 - because they were the top student at their school and so earned the top exam mark. That top exam mark becomes the top assessment mark for the school so that student would end up with a Moderated Assessment Mark of 100, an exam mark of 100 and the average of those two marks would also be 100 so their final HSC mark would be 100.

The student who topped James Ruse with an exam mark of 90 and as that student is also the top internally ranked student would end up with School Moderated Assessment Mark of 90, exam mark 90 and average of 90.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Re: Does the Board of Studies actually use the assessment mark submitted by the schoo

(sorry if it's a silly question)
It's not a silly question if your teachers have fed you that crap.
The rank means NOTHING.
How your assessment fits in the mark distribution of your cohort, and how your cohort perform in the actual HSC exam means EVERYTHING.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)