Does the IPT HSC NSW Syllabus include Logical Topologies? (1 Viewer)

odibodi

HSC
After looking at the syllabus, and talking to my teacher, I'm still unsure as to whether or not logical topologies are covered in our syllabus. The syllabus just says "network topologies", and my teacher said he is unsure and has only really seen physical topology mentioned in the hsc.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
My understanding of logical topologies is that conveyed by the following definition:

Logical topology describes the flow of data within a system. This refers to the manner in which data is transmitted and received between devices on a network, regardless of their physical connections.
Network topology, on the other hand, describes the physical connection of devices, i.e. the physical layout of the cables and computers in a network. In other words, physical topology is the way in which the network devices are connected physically. As you mentioned, network topologies constitute a syllabus point, under which the following topologies are listed:
  • star​
  • bus​
  • ring​
  • hybrid​
  • wireless networks​
Based on this, it would be safe to suggest that thorough knowledge and understanding of network topologies implicitly requires thorough knowledge and understanding of logical topologies in order to gain an ability to effectively describe not only the physical layout of each topology but also how data is transmitted and received between devices in the case of each topology (if required by a particular question). This seems to be the case with Question 23 part (a) from the 2021 Information Processes and Technology HSC exam. However, this does not necessarily mean that topology related questions will always extend beyond a physical layout. Consider Question 4 from the 2020 Information Processes and Technology HSC exam for instance. Choosing the correct answer for this question solely requires an understanding of the physical layout of the network topologies included within the syllabus.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)