Doing all Three Science? (2 Viewers)

Lukybear

HSC
I thought about doing all three sciences; bio, chem and physic, but most seniors i talked to said that is too much work and is too hard since im doing ext1 math and ext1 english.

What are your opinions on this?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
do you like the sciences?
keen interest i mean

Lukybear

HSC
O yea definately. I think im quite adapt at it but i go to a normal public school and lack comparison.
soo...

Is any1 actually doing bio chem and physics and ext2 math and adv eng?? Whats your experiences like?

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
I also want to do all 3 sciences.
I am in year 10 currently but my subject selection is this week
I want to do:
Ext 1 maths
Adv english
physics
chem
bio
engineering

I would like to know if anyone's expierience doing all 3 sciences?

Lukybear

HSC
Is engineering 1 unit?
Cause then ull have 13 units

bored of sc

HSC
Lukybear said:
O yea definately. I think im quite adapt at it but i go to a normal public school and lack comparison.
soo...

Is any1 actually doing bio chem and physics and ext2 math and adv eng?? Whats your experiences like?
The dux of 2007's year 11, now in year 12 at our school does those exact subjects. He seems to be going well, but I don't know him enough to know the fine details. I'm guessing the workload's tough --> heavy workload, sometimes really complex/hard concepts to get through too. But it is manageable as this guy's academic success reflects this.

NoOneImportant

HSC
I'm in year 11.
I'm doing all 3 sciences.
My subject line up looks something like
Chem
Bio
Physics
Adv Eng
Ext 1 Maths
HSC Music.

I live in the sticks, so I do everything my distance ed (Or the access system. Same dif.), and it's really hard. My chem teacher expects about 45 hours A WEEK. Bio is great, I'm am loving it. Physics is kinda alright, but with the line up of the "Brain subjects", don't do what is listed above. Only do it if you believe, believe in your heart, that you can do it.

I was sick with Gladular Fever earlier in the year, so that hurt.:burn:

If you are going to do those, remember, Prelim. marks do not count to the HSC, but don't take it lightly.

Be prepared for no sleep, no social life and no fun. And thats Prelim...

Imagine HSC...

I'm not trying to turn you off three sciences, I'm speaking from experience of Distance ed. In school would be different, but no one i know is game enough to do it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
In my school it's an easier workload if you do all three sciences beacuase the Biology teacher is a complete bludge. I heard the guys doing Biology played Mario Kart on Nintendo Wii in class before.

NoOneImportant

HSC
kaz1 said:
In my school it's an easier workload if you do all three sciences beacuase the Biology teacher is a complete bludge. I heard the guys doing Biology played Mario Kart on Nintendo Wii in class before.
Ha ha.
Even though we do distance ed
And links (Like webcam, but faster... And better)
We watched the magic school bus in Biology...

smushieex

HSC
We're actually not allowed to do all three sciences at my school.

Anyways, if you love science and think you can handle all that work, then why not?

But I have been hearing that Ext. eng requires a crap load of work.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
I would advise, and I think most people would advise to not do all three Sciences. Most of the brightest people in my school (who chose all three) dropped a Science for a less demanding subject. It's quite tiresome and somewhat repetitive.

However, if you are very interested in Science as a whole and are getting great marks in school for it, I would say go for it.
Just keep in mind the large workload.
:)

E

engee

How well do you usually do? My friend did the same exact same subjects you did, he topped two of the sciences, maths and in the top 20 for his other subjects. He definitely works hard for it so do you think you have the discipline to be doing all these subjects?

agua.fuego

HSC
smushieex said:
But I have been hearing that Ext. eng requires a crap load of work.
I personally don't think it does - then again, I've never had to get up at some ungodly hour to go to classes.

Buttigieg

Elite Member
HSC
Well, im in yr 12 and doing all three sciences, adv eng, adv maths, and maths ext 1. I was also told that it would be pretty difficult to juggle, but im finding it ok, but yeh, ure gonna hv 2 make sacrifices!

eliseliselise

HSC
heyyyyyyyy!

i do all 3 sciences, accelerated 4u math & extension english.. i think that you can definitely do it, if you want to.. but i am intending on dropping physics ASAP as its SO BORING [imo].

biology is quite easy, the concepts are simple to grasp and there are only a certain number of syllabus dot points that can be examined, and to be honest with you.. there arent that many ;) workload is very low, i have a good teacher and its easy enough to learn everything in class and then revise before exams & still have a top rank.

as for chem, the dotpoints are so much broader and there are heaps of other skills involved. i personally find it the most gruelling science, and most of it you simply have faith in, as there's no way you can actually prove alot of things you're taught. keep in mind that at alot of unis chem is assumed knowledge for heaps of courses [ie medicine]. the workload for chem is really high... for me, anyway...

physics, as aforementioned: is DRAB, dreary, monotonous.. alot of it is just basic algebra & boring stuff you will have learnt in junior science [waves, electromagnetic spectrum, electricity stuff] -shudder- many say that it can help with maths later on [i beg to differ], but often with physics the questions are quite convoluted...

i dont regret doing the 3 sciences at this point... as i know they will all come in handy later on, but as someone said earlier- it gets really repetitive & i personally think that i [& anyone else who does zee 3 sciences] need more balance in my/their timetable. in hindsight, i would have kept with software instead of physics if the teacher wasnt so scary.. but yeah, i know a few people who do all 3 and they absolutely love it, so i guess if you have a passion for it, you look forward to science lessons as it is- then yes..do all 3.. remember that in prelim u need 12 units, so science is going to take up 50% of all ur subjects if u do all 3!! its certainly not social suicide, or anything like that- just dont do them if u lack any fundamental skills coz then you're disadvntaging urself and the rest of the class. ;) ;)

but i think you'll know what's the right thing to do so... good luck with your decision ;)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
My friend did all three and both extension 1's. He seemed to cope just fine throughout year eleven. He did make the decision though to drop the EEX1 a few weeks ago though. However, the point is, if you want to do all the sciences, then go ahead. Many students have done it before and done very well. However, if you are unsure of what job you want to go into, then all three is probably not the best option.

12o9

HSC
Haha. Well, I'm also doing 3 sciences =). To be honest, I wouldn't say the workload is that heavy.

I also found that a few concepts from Biology overlap with those in Chemistry and a bit of Chem with Physics ;) So that would help =).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)