Doppler Effect Question - ANSWER REQUIRED ASAP (1 Viewer)

amdspotter

HSC
if someone could quickly answer this q: (it would be greatly appreciated, i need answer asap)
  • Identify the mathematical relationship between frequency shift and the velocity of an object.

icy2204

HSC
1624017968142.png
This is also on the physics formula sheet under waves and thermodynamics.

icy2204

HSC
The formula explains it, but basically if the two objects are moving closer, the apparent frequency would be higher, and vice versa for the opposite

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I found this info:

If the source is moving away (positive velocity) the observed frequency is lower and the observed wavelength is greater (redshifted).

If the source is moving towards (negative velocity) the observed frequency is higher and the wavelength is shorter (blueshifted).

The region where an observer perceives an increase in the frequency of light is referred to as "blueshifted", and the region where the observer would perceive a lower frequency is referred to as "redshifted."

From https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/features/yba/M31_velocity/spectrum/doppler_more.html

You might like to check out that link as it might contain some additional info that you may find useful.

I hope this helps! 😄

icy2204

HSC
I found this info:

If the source is moving away (positive velocity) the observed frequency is lower and the observed wavelength is greater (redshifted).

If the source is moving towards (negative velocity) the observed frequency is higher and the wavelength is shorter (blueshifted).

The region where an observer perceives an increase in the frequency of light is referred to as "blueshifted", and the region where the observer would perceive a lower frequency is referred to as "redshifted."

You might like to check out that link as it might contain some additional info that you may find useful.

I hope this helps! 😄
NOTE:
This is for Year 12 physics under module 7: the nature of light.
IT IS NOT REQUIRED FOR YEAR 11 PHYSICS
Blue shift and red shift is quite an interesting concept for determining the motion of stars which is pretty cool though.

amber630

HSC
People here can make great tutors... and here I am just thinking "they are inversely proportional".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)