dot point 1.1.1 (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
Identify data sources, plan, choose equipment or resources and perform a first hand investigation to test the effect of increased temperature, change in pH, change in substrate concentrations on the activity of named enzyme(s)

can some one help out with the change in substrate concentration?

and yes i have been on www.hsc.csu.edu.au/biology

melati

look at the effect of changing the concentration of hydrodgen peroxide on the activity on catalase (an enzyme found in potato cells)
get 8ml of 10% hydrogen peroxide solution in a test tube and add a 2cm long cylinder of potato. measure the height of the bubbles. repeat with 8, 6, 4, 2 and 0% solutions
this method is a bit dodgy but its the only real way to do it
obviously theres lots to discuss about reliability etc

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
substrate conc: once it reaches the maximum velocity (ie. no more substrate will make a difference) all the active sites on the enzyme will be full, and thus they can only work at a certain rate

when all the sites are full, no matter how much substrate u add, it won't make a difference

fudge results if u need to for this one:p

melati- i'm not sure what u mean by % solutions; but the way we did it was to have a set amount of water; and then one test tube with 1ml of h2o2, then 2ml, 3ml get it? using same sized slices of potato

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
oh and. learn the graphs, u should be able to recognise them instantly; its fairly simple

ie. ph vs. enzyme activity

etc

melati

yeah we did it as % (as in 1ml acid with 9ml water = 10%)
we also did it as a prac assessment using different molarities

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If my memory is correct, it was in the excel book somewhere. It was one of a few experiments that was done for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)