• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

dot point dilemna (1 Viewer)

bos1234

HSC
Identify the industrial source of ethylene from the cracking of some of the fractions from the refining of petroleum

What does this dot point mean??

also what does feedstock mean?

The feedstock used for thermal cracking is propene...

Sofstar

HSC
I had down cuz it's identify(recognise and name) where ethylene comes from and included information on the ways ethylene can be produced which are catalytic cracking and steam/thermal cracking.

Don't know how to explain feedstock but kind of like what you use.

Hope that helps.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Feedstock is like any raw material that gets converted to another form or product.

The dot point wants you to recognise and name what the industrial source of ethylene is, from the cracking of some refined petroleum fractions.

The answer is (from what I've found): Steam thermal cracking process is the key source of ethylene.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
ditto yoakim... though it seems the syllabus also need you know catalytic cracking, which requires zeolite as a catalyst...

Sofstar

HSC
f3nr15 said:
What's zeolite ?
Aluminosilicate (aluminium, silicon, oxygen) minerals called Zeolites which provide a structure on which longer hydrocarbon molecules are trapped and become fixed in the correct orientation to allow the molecule to be 'cracked' into smaller fragments.

^^ that's from class notes teacher gave us.

I got another syllabus question.

For the production of transuranic elements and production of commercial radioisotopes, should i be including information about Uranium-238?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
U-238 is not transuranic elements... and if i am ill-informed, it's not really commercial radioisotopes either...

i would include the production of Tc-99m or more precisely Mo-99 from the nuclear fission of U-235

Sofstar

HSC
xiao1985 said:
U-238 is not transuranic elements... and if i am ill-informed, it's not really commercial radioisotopes either...

i would include the production of Tc-99m or more precisely Mo-99 from the nuclear fission of U-235
Okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Textbook must be referring to Uranium-238 being used to sythesise Neptunium and plutonium in the 1940s? And times have changed?

ssglain

HSC
I wonder if it is sufficient to simply say "ethylene is produced industrially by the cracking of some of the fractions from the refining of petroleum" or would it be necessary to identify (as was asked) the particular fractions used such as LPG and naphtha which come from fractional distillation of petroleum. Should one even briefly learn about the processes of thermal/catalytic cracking?

I always tend to be a bit concerned about the 'identify' dot points. The fact that all they really want of us is to be able to 'recognise and name' does make the teaching of the course seem very superficial.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
when in doubt, remember the more detailed one...

if not for hsc, for the truth behind truth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)