Dot Point (1 Viewer)

schooly

Hi, in 9.2 - production of materials, the 2nd point states:

identify the industrial source of ethylene from the cracking of some of the fractions from the refining of petroleum

is that refering to catalytic cracking or thermal cracking. to me sounds as if its catalytic cracking but then does that mean we dont need to know thermal cracking?

Also, the 1st point states:

construct word and balanced formulae equations of chemical reactions as they are encountered

which chemical reaction is that talking about? are they talking about constructing equation of reactions in general? if so why is it put under the first part of this module?

Thankyou

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by schooly

identify the industrial source of ethylene from the cracking of some of the fractions from the refining of petroleum

is that referring to catalytic cracking or thermal cracking. to me sounds as if its catalytic cracking but then does that mean we dont need to know thermal cracking?
Broadly speaking, the refining of petroleum is mainly done with thermal cracking and the production of ethylene carried out with a catalyst. Know both, there isn't much to thermal cracking at all.

construct word and balanced formulae equations of chemical reactions as they are encountered
It seems to me that this means that for every reaction or process that you have to describe qualitatively, you must know how to write the actual equation.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
which chemical reaction is that talking about? are they talking about constructing equation of reactions in general?
yea they talking about equations in general which you encounter in the hsc course. that dot point is at the beginning of the preliminary course as well.
if so why is it put under the first part of this module?
where else would they have put it if its not at the start:confused:

icespeed

Apparently Australia uses thermal cracking because it has a large supply of feedstock- LPG and naphtha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)