• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Double Major possibility (1 Viewer)

Reneranger1

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you're able to undertake a double major in Commerce with a Law degree. I really want to major in both finance and financial economics whilst graduating with the law component. I know that something like this is possible at Usyd. So is there any possibility of a double major in a com law degree?

mreditor16

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you're able to undertake a double major in Commerce with a Law degree. I really want to major in both finance and financial economics whilst graduating with the law component. I know that something like this is possible at Usyd. So is there any possibility of a double major in a com law degree?
To get it done, if I am informed correctly, you would need to overload a few semesters, do a few courses in summer terms (highly discouraged because each subject of 6UOC is charged at $3960 upfront) or staying back for an extra semester (or two).

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
my tutor does comm/law and a double commerce major

he said he's on track to graduate in 5.5 years (prolly 6)

mreditor16

HSC
my tutor does comm/law and a double commerce major

he said he's on track to graduate in 5.5 years (prolly 6)
Did he overload any semesters or do any subjects in the summer term, out of curiosity? Because if he didn't, that sounds about right, considering normal duration of Comm / Law is 5 years.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
no overloading/summer school. finance and accounting majors at new south have lots of overlap, if you pick the right subjects.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
i forget the exact course codes though, just look it up yourself and with a bit of research you should be alright

i'll probably do this as well (finance/accounting major with actl/comm)

mreditor16

HSC
i forget the exact course codes though, just look it up yourself and with a bit of research you should be alright

i'll probably do this as well (finance/accounting major with actl/comm)
Would you go for CPA or CA accreditation? Because if you do, iirc, it adds on at least another three courses you have to do.

If not, then by my calculations to do a finance/accounting double major in actl/comm, you would have to do two subjects through overloading/summer term/extra semester.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Would you go for CPA or CA accreditation? Because if you do, iirc, it adds on at least another three courses you have to do.

If not, then by my calculations to do a finance/accounting double major in actl/comm, you would have to do two subjects through overloading/summer term/extra semester.
i probably won't go for cpa/ca accreditation. I haven't really looked into it. I'll probably end up doing the degree over 5 years anyways. I'll probably underload/part time towards the end of the degree, in order to support myself/internships (east suburbs life ftw)

mreditor16

HSC
However, Cleavage and OP, please do take note of one of Business School's rule - "If a student chooses to complete a second major, and the Majors have courses in common, a student may be permitted to have up to 6 UOC counted towards each Major sequence."

That means regardless of any business double major combination, only one subject can be used to contribute to both!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)