• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Drop IPT or VET IT? (1 Viewer)

stipes

HSC
Hey guys im new to these forums, seems like a great community here :)

Ive just finished my preliminary course and now Im deciding which subject to drop. Ive narrowed it down to either VET IT or IPT (others include business studies, adv english, pdhpe,maths general and religion 1 unit).

Ive been doing considerably well in VET IT, my overall percentage for prelim course was something like 84% (without much effort lol). However in IPT it is something like 68%. I went to my schools career advisor for advice on what to do and he said I should keep IPT and drop VET IT as VET IT is a tafe course and I should do IPT for my uni education.

I want to get at least 85 for my UAI to get into a few courses which Im interested in.

Ive heard things like VET courses aren't for future uni students and its best off doing category a courses and things like that. However I enjoy the subject, but I still want a good UAI for my future.

Can anyone give me any advice with this? It's really stressing me out and any help will be really appreciative.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Just a note- IT is hard to get a good mark in the HSC with. In the trials/exams etc I got around 98ish and in the exam i was pretty sure I got ~100. Then when the marks came back i was heaps cut that I didn't get a band 6 (got 89) even tho I was so sure I did so much better. The comfort I had was that only like 25 or so students got a band 6.

So, if you can't get a good mark in the HSC exam mark it wouldn't work out too well in your UAI calculation. However, they apparently made the course harder for this year so it may scale differently.

lcx

HSC
well, i havnt done the vet IT cousre, but i do do IPT, and all ic an say is, if u can write stuff about senarios its easy to do well. IPT isn that hard, but the thing is it doesnt scale very well, so yeh even gettin a band 6 compared to other subjects that are a higher band 6 or equivlant, ipt wont count. IPT is classified as an 'easier' subejct i think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)