Dropping a subject but doing the assessment (1 Viewer)

boredtobealive

HSC
dropping maths advanced cuz I SUCK at it although am pretty good at all my others.. however the exam is this week for it and the dropping process takes longer, so i have to do the exam... i know ill fail but that doesn't matter anyways since I'm dropping it right? I know barely anything about how atars/hsc works so sorry if this seems ignorant

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You are correct. Regardless of your performance in your upcoming exam, dropping Mathematics Advanced means that it will no longer be recorded as part of your subject combination, which in turn means that the subject will have nothing to do with your HSC results or your ATAR whatsoever once you drop it.

I hope this helps! :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thank u, but if i do so bad that it warrants an n award what happens?
An N determination cannot be directly issued following unfavourable performance in a particular assessment task or exam. There is a specified procedure in place in the event of performance that is below a minimum expected standard. NESA requires two warnings for a student in order for an N determination to be made by the principal at the end of a course. This means that two instances of unfavourable performance would be required for the risk of an N award to even exist. Assuming that you have never been previously warned about unfavourable performance, you should have nothing to worry about going into your exam.

If the above assumption is true, receiving a warning following substandard performance would not matter since you will be dropping Mathematics Advanced anyway. With that being said, I would recommend still making a genuine attempt at your exam, even if you strongly believe that you will not do well. I think that it never hurts to try to mitigate the risk of a warning altogether.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)