Dropping a subject when you're 1st (1 Viewer)

LavishNotion

HSC
Hi all,

After being pleased with my year 11 results I have 13 units.
  • Math/ext1/ext2
  • Eng adv
  • Studies Of religion 1
  • Software
  • Physics
  • Economics
I feel I should drop a subject, which will probably be economics, but I'm coming first in it.
So should I troop through year 12 with 12 units (+minus SOR1) or drop a subject i'm coming first in (eco)?

Any help welcome :)

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I dropped music 1 and I was coming 1st in it; I don't regret that decision. However, I personally reckon you should hesitate to drop a subject if you're coming 1st and your cohort is pretty strong - especially if you kinda like the subject / don't completely hate it. I'd try talking to your teachers and see what they think.

leehuan

HSC
Dux of my school last year topped biology in Yr 11 and dropped it. Got 99.45 ATAR anyway.

atargainz

HSC
If you're dropping economics because of your disinterest, then that's up to you. ATAR wise you should drop software for dat dere god tier subject combo

LavishNotion

HSC
I dropped music 1 and I was coming 1st in it; I don't regret that decision. However, I personally reckon you should hesitate to drop a subject if you're coming 1st and your cohort is pretty strong - especially if you kinda like the subject / don't completely hate it. I'd try talking to your teachers and see what they think.
Well, the class is pretty weak, and the teacher is not the best. With that being said, It makes it easier to top and if i do the work i'm sure i can get some good results.
Should the weak class be a factor in my decision?

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Well, the class is pretty weak, and the teacher is not the best. With that being said, It makes it easier to top and if i do the work i'm sure i can get some good results.
Should the weak class be a factor in my decision?
What should influence your decision is whether or not you are confident that it will benefit you in the long run. If you don't want to study anything economics related after school, and if you reckon you can get a better ATAR without it, then perhaps you should drop it

LavishNotion

HSC
If you're dropping economics because of your disinterest, then that's up to you. ATAR wise you should drop software for dat dere god tier subject combo
Interest wise I like economics, but I just don't see myself dropping any other subjects (except Ext2 Math) because of extracurricular things that relate to the subjects.
I know its tough to answer but drop Ext2 or Eco? (I have enough units)

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I dropped legal when I was coming first with a great teacher and subpar (but not awful) cohort. Honestly not trying to humblebrag but I was 1st in everything but CAFS and Ext at the time so it wasn't really a matter of rank to me, rather than pure marks - of which legal was the lowest. So compare it to your other ranks. But ranks and marks can change so I'd wait closer to trials before dropping anything, as your marks/ranks/attitudes could definitely change dramatically.

swagmeister

HSC
I would say depends on your other rankings.

If you're doing better in eco then you are in other subjects in terms of ranking, I wouldn't drop

I was rank 1 in everything but english after year 11, yet I dropped to 10 units - ended up dropping SDD. Yes I was rank 1 in it, but it allowed me to focus much more on my other subjects...

The one thing however is that my performance was REALLY consistent for everything but english, meaning that dropping to 10 units wasn't a risk.

Really depends on your personal scenario though :)

From reading your stuff, personally I would choose to drop physics as I believe that will mean you can get a 99+ ATAR in the easiest way, but again that's just my thoughts.

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
One of my mates was coming first in a subject out of like 90 students and dropped it before Year 12 started. He still ended up getting 98+, getting into the course of his choice and is sitting at a high D WAM. If you don't want to do it, don't. It won't affect you in the long run (as long as you do well in your other subjects, obv).

minisu

HSC
Uni Grad
first is the worst
second is the best
third is the one with the hairy chest
fourth is the one with a treasure chest

sida1049

HSC
I did 12 units, including Extension 2 maths. The subjects I could have dropped were Physics or Economics, and I decided to keep both out of personal interest (finished my HSC year coming 3rd in both subjects). I didn't feel that having 12 units disadvantaged me in anyway; sure, I could have had extra time to allocate to all my other subjects, but honestly having a range of different subjects helped keep my interest up for all of them, which I think in turn correlates to a greater effectiveness of learning. Also, the Law of Diminishing Returns holds: the more time you spend for a single subject, the less your overall effectiveness and efficiency of learning that subject becomes. Economics ended up being my second favourite subject (behind maths), and chances are, it probably won't even count towards my ATAR.

It all depends on your interests. Don't be afraid to keep all 12 subjects if you have an adequate interest in all of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)