Duke Nukem Forever (1 Viewer)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Worth buying?

I love DN 3D and so far based on some YT vids have found the humour hilarious, so don't let that be a factor in saying I shouldn't get it (ie that the humour is crude/distasteful blah de blah blah)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
No.

Rant incoming:

That said, if you didn't know about DN3d, and enjoyed Halo but thought it could use a more annoying protagonist and a bunch of inappropriate toilet humour, then you won't be disappointed.

Duke was fun in the original DN3d, he was basically a cartoon character. In this one, they try to give him human flaws. In one scene, he is given mouth-to-mouth then doesn't even make a gay joke when he gets up. An arrogant character who can back up their awesomeness is alright, but one who is actually a pussy is an unlikeable prick.

As much as I hate this new fad of FPS's: Shitty sprint function that makes the protagonist sound like they have asthma and regenerating "health" that means you have to hide behind a wall and suck your thumb (wtf do they even call it EGO?!) the worst is the "cutscenes." They were so boring, you basically have to stand still for a few minutes while NPC's just stand there and blurt words at you.

One of the worst crimes in video-game story telling, is TELLING a player instead of SHOWING.

Also quick-time events can go fuck themselves. Bashing a button to open a door or get through a boss-kill is so unimmersive and boring.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
i was looking forward to this too because i loved duke nukem 3d and was disappointed by the fact that it received negative reviews

it might not be that bad since so many of the criticisms of duke are things i dont give a shit about (bad graphics when they look perfectly fine to me, fps games have "moved on" wtf does that mean call of duty sucks, crude distasteful humour nah dont care it sounds funny) and a lot of it looks really fun like when youre shrunk and bounce on burgers and shit but apparnetly it tried to copy dumb call of duty/halo features like 2 GUNS ONLY and regenerating health why couldnt they have just made it classic duke like serious sam or doom

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah its so hard to tell, i like a lot of the shit that gets complained about

Idk i dont play many vg but on yt the first thing I saw was the football field boss battle from DN3D and my first thought was how nice the graphics were

idk i will probably just borrow a mate's steam account or something tbh

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
bad graphics when they look perfectly fine to me
Graphics engine is really good. The aesthetics and art design are really poor. The environments are all boring, dark and dull. The models of the enemies are generic.
crude distasteful humour
What humour? I get misogynistic humour (what do you say to a woman with two black eyes, etc.) and other "low brow" comedy, but this is not that. There's no good humour, only shock.

"Oh cool, you can pick up poo and throw it, take that society! You want our poo to stay in the toilet bowl! Comedic genius!"

A good joke has a set-up and punch line and there could have been some good humour here. Early on, you have a kid want your autograph. Obviously, you draw some boobs or a penis or something, but you get the same reaction anyway. I was hoping they'd do something clever, like they could've made it funny by having the kid later on in the game get your "autograph" tattooed to his forehead. Instead, the "joke" is you get to just draw shit and the kid has the same generic thankfulness regardless.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
hmm yeah i can definitely see myself being dissapointed with this

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah I just watched that

less harsh than I was expecting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)