• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dux (2 Viewers)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Just wondering if anyone knows the UAI advantages (if any) of being ranked first in your class?

superbird

HSC
i dont think there is any, except getting the highest exam mark for ur moderated assessment mark.

waterfowl

HSC
I think the other people in your class get more advantage than you do.
My English teacher (also Deputy) was showing us one day in class how the scaling basically works. From what I saw, the person ranked first scales all the other peoples marks up. Eg: if you're ranked first and get 100 in the test, you pull everyone elses marks up.

sylvester

what if your assement mark is already higher than the highest moderated HSC test mark? then what did they give the person ranked first?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
waterfowl said:
I think the other people in your class get more advantage than you do.
My English teacher (also Deputy) was showing us one day in class how the scaling basically works. From what I saw, the person ranked first scales all the other peoples marks up. Eg: if you're ranked first and get 100 in the test, you pull everyone elses marks up.
That's what I heard, and that your mark gets pulled down as a result. But I thought that there was some advantage of being first...

waterfowl

HSC
Wait I'm remembering something....
I think that I remember my teacher saying the following::

If Joe Blogs got ranked first in class assessments, then in the exam he only got 80 but Bob Smith (from same school) got first and a mark of 97, then Joe automatically gets that 97, and Bob gets to keep it (obviously), then everyone else under them gets scaled up.

Now I could have this totally wrong because this is going back more than halfway through the year. So if it is true then there is a definate advantage of coming first!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
That sounds like crazy talk. You must be some sort of crazy person.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
I doubt that being dux will be much advantageous...I'm currently dux at my school...it sounds pretty good but I know a school whose dux got a UAI of 91

fantasia

HSC
yeh if you're dux at a crap school thats nothign special. i too hear of some schools who's top uai is only low 90s.

it really depends.. if you have a strong cohort and you yourself do good in the hsc then you'll do good

dynamic22

Future Dictator
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
I doubt that being dux will be much advantageous...I'm currently dux at my school...it sounds pretty good but I know a school whose dux got a UAI of 91

at our school in 2003 our dux was 79uai

you dont know how embarrassed all the teachers were...but they say they have high hopes for our year...lets hope

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)