• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Eagle Ray Kills Woman (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080320/us_nm/florida_ray_dc

MIAMI (Reuters) - A ray leaped onto a boat off the Florida Keys on Thursday and knocked a woman to the deck, killing her, wildlife investigators said. if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['oSq7Mdj8elQ-']='&U=13bkren95%2fN%3doSq7Mdj8elQ-%2fC%3d605033.12387248.12794384.2811172%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d5275419';
"It's a bizarre accident," said Jorge Pino, an officer with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
The woman and her family were aboard a boat in the Atlantic Ocean, off the city of Marathon in the Florida Keys, he said.
"A large ray jumped out of the water and collided with the victim," Pino said.
The impact threw the woman backward and she hit her head on the vessel, he said. Investigators initially said one of the animal's venomous barbs had stabbed her, but they later said there was no sign of a puncture.
An autopsy was pending.
"We believe she died as a result of the impact between herself and the spotted eagle ray," said Gabriella Ferraro, a spokeswoman for the wildlife commission.
The ray weighed about 80 pounds (36 kg) and had a wingspan of 5 to 6 feet, Ferraro said. The boat was traveling at about 25 mph (40 kph) when the animal collided with the woman, killing both, she said.

Pretty suprising how she died, the thing only weighed 36 kgs which is probally 2-3 times less then guys our age. They are really gentle from my experiences, I thought this would be another freak sting ray thing when I heard it on the news; justifying bogans killing more of them :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)