• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Easy first year science units at usyd? (1 Viewer)

annie_m

HSC
Hi,
I need a science elective for sem 2 for B science/ MND, I'm already going to be doing/ would have done psyc1001, biol1003, chem1001, math1111, math1015, math1014, chem1003, mblg1001 - basically all the pre-requs for any science major. I tried to get credit for an arts unit i'd done in the past at usyd but they said there's no room for electives that aren't science v.v which I think is silly because I would have done all the pre-requ stuff. So alas, they won't let me and thereby I have to do a science elective in sem 2. Any ideas on really easy units, preferably with low contact hours (no pracs)?
Cheers :)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
for science subjects that have low contact hours and no pracs, you're looking at either psych or hpsc.

There is, of course, PSYC1002 and if you enjoyed PSYC1001, you would probably enjoy that.

HPSC2100 stands for History and Philosophy of Science, What is this thing called Science? It's a great course as it goes through philosophical problems with the scientific method, and a bit of history as to where science and scientific practice has come from, as well as how we determine what is and isn't science (why is maths science and sociology isn't etc). But while it doesn't have pracs, it does have 3 hours of lectures per week, and one hour of tute time. There are also a few readings to do each week and for assessments, it's three essays across the semester (no exam though!). If you're not at all inclined to do philosophy/artsy subjects and hate essays, DON'T DO IT. But if you're looking for a spare interesting subject, defs worth giving a go.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
GEOS1002 is great fun.

I would definitely recommend it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)