Eating Disorders and HSC - Discussion (1 Viewer)

mzkashi

HSC
unfortunately this perception is somewhat born from people faking illnesses on social media like tiktok, where people will claim to have mental disorders like tourettes for attention, which naturally discredits real people with illnesses/disorders. however eating disorders are one of the most self diagnosable disorders, just because it is literally an eating habit, so of course you can recognise when you eat too much or too little.

social media is pushed on our generation an insane amount, tiktok or instagram or whatever which is of course a contributor due to how much we rely on these platforms for communication (especially in times like lockdown). but theres also advertisements, which are again everywhere due to the internet using them as a main source of revenue, tv, movies, etc. that was not as prevalent for other generations, whereas i guarantee you almost everyone our age either uses social media or netflix a good amount. if all you see is an idealised or cherrypicked image of humans, then naturally your perception of what you should look like changes. its not necessarily going to affect everyone the same, but definetly for many people it leads to body image issues.
It's true that a lot of people rely on social media for health advice or diagnosis, I think it's ridiculous. I can sympathize with many people that use it as a 'first step' for researching something, or seeing a doctor, but believing you have an illness or disorder based on a short video is crazy. Attention seeking behavior 100% goes into play there, but even then, those who fake illness for attention are still a cause for concern, because not many people would do that for attention in the first place; definitely a sign they still need help..

mzkashi

HSC
I know ur after me coz uk what I do here and if I was someone else and said that u wouldve treated me differently but ok ok no needa get mad I dont know anything about that and dont see how social media affects someone that bad especially normal people but ok i get ur too sensitive
Hey, sorry if I came across that way, it has nothing to do with you saying it, I think if anyone had said that, I would have responded the way I did. The only reason I defend this topic is because it's genuinely something I struggle with. It's okay if you don't fully understand it, but I'm not really mad either 😅
I think it's impossible to be totally unaffected by social media, I mean, even social media addiction is so common. But that's a whole different topic. Even if it's completely internalized or barely noticeable, I think everyone gets affected by social media a little. Of course I'm affected a little more, but I believe it's always a starting step to comparison or dissatisfaction, I'm glad you responded though, I'm more than happy to chat

Bronx_Tips

HSC
Hey, sorry if I came across that way, it has nothing to do with you saying it, I think if anyone had said that, I would have responded the way I did. The only reason I defend this topic is because it's genuinely something I struggle with. It's okay if you don't fully understand it, but I'm not really mad either 😅
I think it's impossible to be totally unaffected by social media, I mean, even social media addiction is so common. But that's a whole different topic. Even if it's completely internalized or barely noticeable, I think everyone gets affected by social media a little. Of course I'm affected a little more, but I believe it's always a starting step to comparison or dissatisfaction, I'm glad you responded though, I'm more than happy to chat
💀 You really rub me the wrong way coz it definitely 'came across that way' and yeahhh I was prolly ignorant in my manner and I apologise

mzkashi

HSC
💀 You really rub me the wrong way coz it definitely 'came across that way' and yeahhh I was prolly ignorant in my manner and I apologise
All good, to be honest, it definitely came across that way 🤣 I think I phrased it pretty poorly, so you don't really have to apologize
but I looked at your profile more, your posts are pretty unserious, so I guess I should have checked before giving you a rude reply!! I think maybe we just use the site for totally different purposes, usually I'm on here to complain about something or get advice lol

Bronx_Tips

HSC
All good, to be honest, it definitely came across that way 🤣 I think I phrased it pretty poorly, so you don't really have to apologize
but I looked at your profile more, your posts are pretty unserious, so I guess I should have checked before giving you a rude reply!! I think maybe we just use the site for totally different purposes, usually I'm on here to complain about something or get advice lol
YES IM VERY UNSERIOUS 🤡 but I mean no harm 🤗

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)