Economic and Social Sciences (1 Viewer)

Hey,
Im thinking of doing economic & social sciences next year at USYD. Can anyone tell me what the employment prospects/career opportunites are like for graduates of this degree, what the course workload is like and what the maths content in the degree is like?
Cheers.

aditya

HSC
got the information day... then make ur way to some careers booth or even the careers office if there is no booth and grab urself a "graduate destination survey" from the very helkpful advisors... u cant tkae it home just look at it but thats more than enough... they'll say its online but its not... lol.. its full mad it shows the degree... the majors and the job the person landed... from wat i remember the lady was saying that comanies are going for poeple with broader qualifcations... economics + socaial sciences will give great jobs, basicalli nowadays people are becoming less superficial altough there are advantages in gong into the right program if u feel u are capable of 'out scoring' lesser people in the better programs then you should just go hard at whateva u end up doing and u will come out ahead...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
skeeze16 said:
Hey,
Im thinking of doing economic & social sciences next year at USYD. Can anyone tell me what the employment prospects/career opportunites are like for graduates of this degree, what the course workload is like and what the maths content in the degree is like?
Cheers.

you might also like to ask melbournian cause he does this course i think

sunshyne1982

HSC
B Ec Social Sciences

Hi,

I have just completed this course at USYD and highly recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it. This course is both flexible and practical in the sense that you can combine practical majors ( ie. marketing and finance) with humanity based subjects such as government.You can tailor a program that suits you within the E and B faculty. If you are not 100 % sure which path you want to take but want a solid foundation with employability , you will enjoy this course.
Hope this helps!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yay I got in too :) See you at usyd i guess ujuphleg

HypedSchoolCert

Deep in the depths of the HSC Marking Centre
HSC
I chose

Political Eco (major)
Work & Organisational Studies (major)
Govt & International Relations (Geopolitics & International Politics & Business)
Commercial Law

As long as you choose subjects that compliment each other and have a focus this degree seems great coz there are no core subjects and you can pick anything from about 3 faculties!

Anyone who's 2nd/3rd year doing this course got any tips, subject advice etc - much appreciated :D

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Yeah guys what subjects are you all doing?

First semester I'm doing Geopolitics and Economics as a Social Science. Eventually, I'm intending on majoring in Government and International Relations with a minor in Political Economy. :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
First semester:
1) Economics as a social science
2) ECMT 1010 (damn prereq for marketing)
3) Marketing principles MKTG 1001
4) Intro to industrial relations WORK 1001

Second:
1) ECOP 1002 (whatever the 2nd political eco subject is)
2) Intro to Sociology 2 SCLG 1002
3) MKTG 1002 - the market research one I think
4) Intro to hrm WORK 1002

Going to try 2x majors in work and mktg

kat_16

HSC
Hi I'm considering applying for this course and I have a few questions.
Like is there a major work involved as part of the social studies component? (like the society and culture PIP?) And can I avoid it if there is?
Are there many career opportunities available? What are you hoping to do with your degree?
And most importantly do you guys enjoy it?
What electives did u study? What are the majors like? Is it true that the lecturers at Sydney are really unhelpful and consider themselves to be Gods?
Ummm.... and anything else you can think of that I might want to know?
Thanks.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
kat_16 said:
Like is there a major work involved as part of the social studies component? (like the society and culture PIP?) And can I avoid it if there is?
Are there many career opportunities available? What are you hoping to do with your degree?
What electives did u study? What are the majors like? Is it true that the lecturers at Sydney are really unhelpful and consider themselves to be Gods?
Thanks.
umm a major work? this isn't high school.

i really enjoyed it as it's relatively flexible: lots of space for electives. you'll obviously be doing the subjects with people from other degrees who elect to do them.

the career opportunities will relate to what you want to major in.
No, lecturers are generally very helpful

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
kat_16 said:
Thanks.
Hi Kat,

Yes, Stas is right, there is no such thing as a Major Work in Uni - its not like High School. Your average mid term paper will be the same amount as your standard high school major work - ie. if you were supposed to do a 3000 word essay for something in HS, we regularly have to write 2000 word essays.

In terms of Career Oppurtunities, the best information for this would be Graduate Destination Surveys and you can find the links to the Economics and Business statistics there. It gives you an indication of what kind of jobs you can get and salaries for starting out etc.

Phanatical rubbishes our degree because he dislikes the fact that many students who take this degree are quite successful in terms of Student Politics. Many ex-Economic and Social Science students tend to work in academics (ie, they go back to Uni and go on to further education and tutor etc.) or in Government positions (or on Government bodies). Not all do, but this is a trend.

I enjoy the degree because it gives me a huge degree of flexibility but its also a little structured. In this way, you aren't confined to the stifling rigidity of Commerce but not the endless uncertainty (and stigma) of being an Arts student. This year, I did Government and Political Economy but also did History and Philosophy - something that I could never have done doing Economics or Commerce.

I can't comment on the Majors because I've only finished first year. Word of advice though - DON'T do GOVT 1105 (Geopolitics).

I suppose its kind of true that the lecturers are unhelpful. I can't comment on other universities, but your tutors should always be your first port of call anyway.

Anything else you should know? If you want a good Economics kind of degree that doesn't require a huge amount of Maths, this is your thing!!

Good luck and hope to see you at USyd next year!!

kat_16

HSC
Thanks. You guys have been really helpful. My fav subjects were economics and society and culture so I figured this could be a way to combine them both. Hope to see you next year.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you do realise that you do a major out of government/IR&HRM; economics/political economy and a minor out of the other corresponding group. 'social science' units are supplementary.

HSC
hi ,

im really interested in this course, i've finished my Advanced dilpoma of business management and international business... with a above credit avrage.. will i jave a chance to make it in you guys?

Does this course involve lot of economic units if not any at all? .. dp i have to choose an eco major?

this course looks really really cool, gives you alot of choice

thanks ppl.. you reckon i can get exemptions ..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
please refer to my post above. also refer to the handbook. no, you can do NO economics if you don't want to. You can take political economy instead which requires no numerical calculation. Very interesting subject.

you had to apply through uac. i think you can still do it but youll be charge a large late fee. we're not the best peopel to talk to in regards to what is needed to transfer. best to come into the student centre or email them.

HSC
oh kool ok,

would you be able to have the email as i cant seem to find which to email.. can you help me find it and post it up on here, it'd help so so much.

Thanks.

Im really considering doing this course, you get to basically construct your own degree hehe, thumbs up!

Political economy sounds like no maths in it which makes it even more appealing to me as i have no maths knowledge what so ever.

Yeah, would you be able to send me the email for student services, it'd help me so much, i'll email them my situation, Thanks

Regards

raymo69

HSC
Is it possible to transfer from a B Arts into a B Economic and Social Sciences with a UAI of 85? Do I need to maintain a certain average in Arts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)