• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Economics @ Macquarie (3 Viewers)

posterboy142

HSC
Hi

I was wondering how economics is at uni like is there at lot of maths involved. Also approx how many hours a week does economics take up. Are the facilities good and are the lecturers good.

Thanx

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
posterboy142 said:
Hi

I was wondering how economics is at uni like is there at lot of maths involved. Also approx how many hours a week does economics take up. Are the facilities good and are the lecturers good.

Thanx
Not much mathematics; required mathematics would probably include simple algebra. Economics at Macq doesn't involves as much mathematics as foreign universities.

You wouldn't be doing just Economics subjects. But a general Commerce/Economics person should expect about 12-16 hours per week of classes/lectures.

Facilities are as good. Lectures vary. Some are great. Some are just plain boring. Luck of the draw.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i'm doing an econ degree at mq.. i'm in first year so i won't be able to tell you much..

but as flyin' said, you don't only do economics units..
for first year, you do:
econ110: macroeconomics
econ111: microeconomics
econ141: econometrics
stat170: statistics

those are your only core units if you follow the basic econ program. you have the option of doing electives from other faculties.

as for maths, as flyin' said, just the basics of maths is all you need. you get taught the econometrics stuff from scratch. i think they recommend you do math just so that it develops your logical thinking...

right now i'm doing econ111 and econ141. the econ111 lecturers are ok, depending on which stream you are in, ive got mcharg. he's pretty good. joyeux for econ141 is ok as well, her french accent can sometimes be alittle too thick when pronouncing words but its understandable...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I would say, academically speaking, McHard is probably the best lecturer. Very experienced -He definately knows his stuff !

But yeah, not much maths, sometimes harder, like working out GDP lol!
;)

Oh, btw, what maths do you do at school ?
I think Extension1 was reccommended/or required ?

But i must say, i havent used calculas since HSC last year - i.e Havent found a need yet.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
for econ, the pre- req was math band 2 and above...
but there are math units at mac uni which you can do to bring you up to speed if you haven't done any math at all...

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
im doing econ201
dere hasnt been 1 lecture this sem i havent either fallen asleep during, or after the lecture.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I've stayed awake from 2:00-3:00pm (lecture times for Econ201)... but then again, I wasn't in the lecture theatre. :D

Last edited:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
economics doesn't suck....
its better than accounting!!

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
who lectures 201?

what about 200, 210 and 232?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
T Whitehead lectures 201. But then ALL Macroeconomics is boring (well, so far 110 and 201).

RIZAL

HSC
golfstick said:
i would like to echo the comments that mcharg is the man

ahh McHarg....a brilliant preacher of microeconomic truths. I once was sitting in the front row of ECON111 and I whispered to someone saying 'this lecturer really knows his stuff' and he looked up and winked at me. I don't know how he heard.

metroman

Attention all first year students doing econ111 ! I know this will happen next week.....its up to you but im telling you allan will give u answers for the assignment due after the mid-semester break! and he will also give u tips for the test next week! So its very important to attend econ111 lectures at 1pm in Macq. theatre on the last week before the mid-semester break!

No one ever believes me but...if i was you i wouldnt risk it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)