• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Economics USYD or UNSW (2 Viewers)

Tabris

HSC
Which u think is beter? does the work in the electives in each differ?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll find this forum is pretty biased when it comes to uni.

But, basically both degrees are the same, and they only differ in terms of what you intend to study within economics. Both uni's have very prestigious Commerce & Economics faculty's, with UNSW the strongest business school in south-east asia. If you intend to study economics in a social science context, Usyd have the best degree for that, but if you want to study quantitative economics, put UNSW first. The differences are negligible, and you should choose the uni which you feel most comfortable at.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
The following is completely unbiased...

USYD :D

Yeah ok, go with what minai said (which is inevitably biased as well :p)

psych_girl

HSC
advise

I think for commerce degree, UNSW is better to find a good job when you finish your degree course. but Usyd is easier to get into but difficult to find a job. Guess what? My friend finished his undergraduate of Commerce at Usyd 2003. He cant find a job then he has to continue to study master of Law at UTS. So.......better do Commerce at UNSW.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
You can't judge a degree on the experience of one person alone...

From stats, usyd commerce has a 92-93% employment rate while unsw has 96%, so if your friend went to unsw, there's still a 50%+ chance that he/she would be unemployed

Winston

HSC
psych_girl said:
I think for commerce degree, UNSW is better to find a good job when you finish your degree course. but Usyd is easier to get into but difficult to find a job. Guess what? My friend finished his undergraduate of Commerce at Usyd 2003. He cant find a job then he has to continue to study master of Law at UTS. So.......better do Commerce at UNSW.
That's UTTER BS!... how on earth can employment levels be measured through which tertiary institution u go to. This goes for every other course too, i think the most important thing is not which uni u go to, but what exactly did you learn out of it, and how well u can apply this stuff in the work force, and furthermore it's what you entirely make out of it.

asdf

HSC
Winston said:
That's UTTER BS!... how on earth can employment levels be measured through which tertiary institution u go to. This goes for every other course too, i think the most important thing is not which uni u go to, but what exactly did you learn out of it, and how well u can apply this stuff in the work force, and furthermore it's what you entirely make out of it.
Tell that to melbornian and shelly in the other thread. :p

Anyway, just a question. When unis show these "97%" , "99%" etc... employment rates, do they count the ones that found jobs that are no way related to there degrees? For example, someone doing computer engineering, working as a tech support for some ISP (that only needs, say some experience + completion of yr 10 school certificate) after his degree. Will he be counted as being "employed"?

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
those are calculated on how many people proir to grad have been offered a job and can fill it into a little survey the uni distributes (well i think thats it anyways, i could be wrong)

lol asdf spell my name right thanks! And yes it does count jobs not directly related to your degree.

And actually id say UNSW for economics, though i do know if your interested in industrial relations usyd has a good program (my dad works in industrial relations) but otherwise ive heard UNSW has the better reputation and more diverse course apparently!

*Pooja*

i didnt think that the distance to uni really mattered majorly in deciding where 2 go 4 uni. i mean i thought as long as u like the place and feel fine there then it didnt really matter.

hmm...interesting.....

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
o picked on basis of which courses where offred where, my post grad is pffered at usyd, and i could have three majors at usyd...though sometimes after 4 hrs of traveling for one hour of class i think..hmmmmmmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)