• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

econs or commerce with engineering? (1 Viewer)

pepsta

HSC
Hey guys,
I am applying to do an engineering/econs double degree at UWA primarily because I really don't know what exactly I want to do and am hoping that the double degree will give me a fairly broad start to uni. I am not sure though if I should do commerce instead of econs because I have been told that commerce could help benefit my engineering degree and help me get higher roles in the engineering field. I am not sure what the difference between the economics and commerce courses are and I was wondering if a commerce degree would benefit me more career wise if a became an engineer, or if economics would be just as good.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Would Commerce benefit your ability to move into executive positions in engineering companies?

No, not really.

An MBA is what is usually needed to move into executive positions, and the company covers costs for you to undertake it.

pepsta

HSC
but would economics, or commerce be a better option to do with engineering? It might not make a difference in moving up but what would an employer be aiming more to hire someone with an economics degree or commerce?
Thanks

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Quite simply, an employer would look at hiring the person with an engineering degree.

At the moment, that's what the field is like. Economics/Commerce etc etc wont make a difference.

Heck, i'd go as far as saying that even grades dont matter in getting employed in engineering. You need the degree. That's it. Anything else should be taken on out of your personal interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)