edison and westinghouse (1 Viewer)

xeriphic

does anyone have information on the competition between westinghouse and edison on supplying electricity to cities

also how many hand rules are there, and do i use different one for generator and motor, thanks

Rahul

Dead Member
for westinghouse and edison...there are many threads, just search for them. you'll find plenty of good info.

right hand palm rule, for force on a current carrying conductor.

right hand screw rule, for solenoids.

dont think you need to know different ones for motors or generators, because they are basically the same thing, they just work in opposite ways to each other.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
There's the right hand palm rule, right hand grip rule, right right hand thumb rule if i recall correctly.

xeriphic

right right hand thumb rule ? haven't heard that one before, how does it work, thanks

also thanks Rahul, searching back the thread there were indeed some good imformation on westinghouse and edison

untamedanimal

About the westinghouse-edison, it was funny to read how edison tried to convince people about the evils of AC power by suggesting it should be used in electric chairs and about how he electrocuted animals with AC power to turn people away from it

TheKey

HSC
try and think Nikola Telsla vs Thomas Edson instead, and that should straight away make u think of AC vs DC...

Originally posted by untamedanimal
About the westinghouse-edison, it was funny to read how edison tried to convince people about the evils of AC power by suggesting it should be used in electric chairs and about how he electrocuted animals with AC power to turn people away from it
yeh i believe the first electric chair did use AC and instead of turning the public against it it actually made the public like it. i also hear it didnt go very well for the guy it was first tested on, he died a horrible death.

i remember watching a video on this thing in class once, AC won after the completion of that generator at niagra falls and when the city of Chicago was lit up using AC power...something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)