Electromagnetism (1 Viewer)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I am having trouble understanding this concept, mainly due to the fact the teacher doesn't get it, and even admitted this. Another teacher tried to explain it, although went off on a huge rant, which no one got.

So what is electromagentsim? Electricity/current + magnetic field profuce in current, and magnetic field + movement produce out current?

How does a generator/motor actually work, re magnet and electricity.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
i not really sure what is electromagnetism.

but i know what electromagnetic induction is. u basically explained it already. whenever a coil is moving relative to a magnetic field, a current will be induced in the coil. also inversely, a current carrying conductor produces a magnetic field.

the main difference between generators and motors is their energy output. Generators convert mechanical energy into electrical energy whereas motors convert electrical energy into mechanical enrgy.

Generators require some mechanism to rotate the armature so that there is relative movement in the magnetic field (cutting magnetic field lines) causing a change in magnetic flux, thus inducing a current

twilight1412

HSC
an electromagnetic field is when a magnetic field is perpendicular to an electric field

clonestar

Physicist/*******
HSC
N/A
If I can add my input into this question.

Electromagnetism is a very broad statement which includes:

* Induction
* Faraday's Law
* Lenz's Law
* Magnetic flux
* Back EMF
* Mutual Inductance - Transformers
* EMR

There is no one off specific defintion of electromagnetism. More so it is any of the above phenomena occuring at any given time. Of course EMR are always there so therefore electromagnetism exists in the space around us.

How does a generator/motor actually work, re magnet and electricity.

A generator works via the reverse analogy of motor effect i.e. kinetic energy -> Electrical energy. This is acheived by cutting the magnetic flux and via Faraday's law a current is induced in the loop. The use of split ring or slip rings differentiates the DC or AC type Generator.

With a motor a current carrying wire perpendicular to the magnetic field will experience a FORCE. The coupling of the force's on a loop of wire produces Torque and this results in rotation. Of course the rotation to continue requires the split ring(DC) or slip rings(AC). The former of course designed by Pixxi.

Hope this helps.

CLONESTAR

Last edited:

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Electromagnetism is the force observed as static electricity, and causes the flow of electric charge (electric current) in electrical conductors.

The magnetic field is produced by the motion of electric charges, i.e. electric current. The magnetic field causes the magnetic force associated with magnets.

The term "electromagnetism" comes from the fact that electrical and magnetic forces are involved simultaneously. A changing magnetic field produces an electric field (this is the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction, which provides for the operation of electrical generators, induction motors, and transformers). Similarly, a changing electric field generates a magnetic field. Because of this interdependence of the electric and magnetic fields, it makes sense to consider them as a single coherent entity — the electromagnetic field.

This unification, which was completed by James Clerk Maxwell, is one of the triumphs of 19th century physics. It had far-reaching consequences, one of which was the understanding of the nature of light. As it turns out, what is thought of as "light" is actually a propagating oscillatory disturbance in the electromagnetic field, i.e., an electromagnetic wave. Different frequencies of oscillation give rise to the different forms of electromagnetic radiation, from radio waves at the lowest frequencies, to visible light at intermediate frequencies, to gamma rays at the highest frequencies.

The theoretical implications of electromagnetism led to the development of special relativity by Albert Einstein in 1905.

The force that the electromagnetic field exerts on electrically charged particles, called the electromagnetic force, is one of the four fundamental forces. The other fundamental forces are the strong nuclear force (which holds atomic nuclei together), the weak nuclear force (which causes certain forms of radioactive decay), and the gravitational force. All other forces are ultimately derived from these fundamental forces.

The electromagnetic force is the one responsible for practically all the phenomena one encounters in daily life, with the exception of gravity. Basically, all the forces involved in interactions between atoms can be traced to the electromagnetic force acting on the electrically charged protons and electrons inside the atoms. This includes the forces we experience in "pushing" or "pulling" ordinary material objects, which come from the intermolecular forces between the individual molecules in our bodies and those in the objects. It also includes all forms of chemical phenomena, which arise from interactions between electron orbitals.

According to modern electromagnetic theory, electromagnetic forces are mediated by the transfer of virtual photons.

Wackedupwacko

HSC
what about strong and weak forces? dun they affect our lives too ? XD no but thats just me nit picking. that was very well explained. did you just research that or is that all from your head?

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
strong and weak forces are to do with the nuclear forces between proton-proton, neutron-neutron , and proton-neutron.
they have nothing to do with electromagnetic forces i think, except that these forces fall under the four fundamental forces, namely electromagnetism, strong nuclear, weak nuclear and gravity.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
angmor said:
strong and weak forces are to do with the nuclear forces between proton-proton, neutron-neutron , and proton-neutron.
they have nothing to do with electromagnetic forces i think, except that these forces fall under the four fundamental forces, namely electromagnetism, strong nuclear, weak nuclear and gravity.
Actually, that is not exactly true. The Physics Holy Grail is, and has been for quite a while, the unification of all the forces.

They have unifed the weak nuclear and electromagnetic forces into the Eletro-weak force: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro-weak

The search to unify them all (including gravity) is where String Theory comes in. It is an (well actually several different attempts all with the same name) to unify the four fundamental forces of nature.

HOWEVER, that aside, for the purposes of HSC Physics you have:

• Electromagnetism (electric and magnetic forces unified)
  • Gravity (sux)
  • Weak Nuclear (to do with radioactivity)
  • Strong Nuclear (holds the atom nucleus together)
(As Sam and others put so eloquently below)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)