• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Engineering and it's usefulness towards society (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticfox

HSC
Warning: Possible philisophical topic

A friend and I were recently having a discussion on the usefulness towards engineers, him claiming that they were of no complete use, as there simply is no human 'need' for them. Demand? Yes. Need? No.

To put it simply:

His argument:
- Building skyscrapers, DVD recorders, roads and what not does not benefit society
- No one becomes happy as a result from materialism and the efficiency engineering creates
- Quality of life has reached to the point in most countries that it cannot be improved any further with technology

My argument:
- Engineering comes as a result of society, as demands need to be met. We live in a world of commerce, and engineers create and pioneer things as a result
- To engineer is human. It's what we do, trying to advance ourselves technologically. It's also a form of self expression.
- New technology can be exported to countries in need, so that quality of life can be improved there too

What do you think? Does it benefit society, or is it merely pointless and useless (in terms of happiness etc., not the economy). Have I yet to think of a better argument?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Point?

I doubt anybody on this forum is as moronic as your friend, so there's not really much to argue.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
If we didn't engineer, we wouldn't invent, and thus we'd be as daft as most of the other primates.

HSC
Your friend is a fucking moron. 'Life expectancy can't get better' what a load of horseshit. What do you think biomed engineering is for? To get past hayflick limit and make us become immortal.

To help us use things more efficiently.

Your friend is one seriously dumb motherfucker.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
This debate really hinges on what is meant by the ambiguous verb 'to need'.

Without engineers we don't have any advanced forms of things like medicine, agriculture, transport, manufacturing, information technology and computation.

What constitutes a 'need'?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
hahahahahahahahahaha

lolin

hahahahaha

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
arcticfox said:
Warning: Possible philisophical topic

A friend and I were recently having a discussion on the usefulness towards engineers, him claiming that they were of no complete use, as there simply is no human 'need' for them. Demand? Yes. Need? No.

To put it simply:

His argument:
- Building skyscrapers, DVD recorders, roads and what not does not benefit society
- No one becomes happy as a result from materialism and the efficiency engineering creates
- Quality of life has reached to the point in most countries that it cannot be improved any further with technology

My argument:
- Engineering comes as a result of society, as demands need to be met. We live in a world of commerce, and engineers create and pioneer things as a result
- To engineer is human. It's what we do, trying to advance ourselves technologically. It's also a form of self expression.
- New technology can be exported to countries in need, so that quality of life can be improved there too

What do you think? Does it benefit society, or is it merely pointless and useless (in terms of happiness etc., not the economy). Have I yet to think of a better argument?
all of the things he listed enable the things that "really matter" to be done at greater ease, no?

nikolas

HSC
Your friend needs to spend some time in the wilderness...After this see if he can say engineers have no use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)