• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Engineering Report (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
I have to do an engineering report on braking systems and I'm really stuck and stressing. We have to cover the following:

Choose and research braking systems and components from three different era/types. Discuss the mechanisms and materials used. Include in your discussions:
  • The sources of materials
  • The processing required of the raw materials
  • The forming methods for the components
  • The suitability of the materials for the purpose (or why did they choose this material?)
  • The environmental impact of the materials
  • The construction of the mechanism
  • The operation of the mechanism
  • The mechanics of the mechanism (discuss MA, efficiency, friction etc)
  • Any limitations of the mechanism

and anything else you feel is relevant.

Your research and discussion will need to be presented as an Engineering Report with the following sections:

Title Page
Table of Contents
Abstract
Introduction
Body of Report
Headings relevant to content
Conclusions
Bibliography

This is the task, and I have no idea what to do. I don't even know what an abstract is or how to write one, and an introduction. What can I do? :(

pmescotty

HSC
Wow, thats a huge report, but then again my teach is pre dodgeeee

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
easy, it's already telling you exactly what needs to be done.
just google "engineering report" or "how to write an engineering report".
an abstract is a short summary of what you will cover in the report. by short i mean like 2 sentences, as long as you cover what the report will be about.
introduction is an expansion on the abstract, add some background info on the topic.
the body is all the stuff listed that you need to include.
you should talk about different types of brakes at first, like drum breaks, disc brakes, crossdrilled disc brakes, whatever you learnt. then pick whichever is better, and state why (you should always back up your statements).
then proceed to talk about source, forming, etc, with your chosen brake. I think i wrote my report on steel alloy cross-drilled disc brake, and i remember mentioning ceramic brakes and non-crossdrilled brakes (but this was in 2006).
and look up standard referencing for engineering reports, your teacher will be impressed.
don't reference wikipedia. a tricky thing to do is to reference some sources that wikipedia references ;)

all the best.

pmescotty

HSC
Abstract, do last as it is a brief summary of main points.
Intro outlines aims, parametres and scope and (background info i.e. hiistory/how it works etc, if appropriate).
As for materials go to library, uni text books etc google/wiki is shit for that kinda info.
Get a copelands hsc text, (has everything in prelim and in more detail).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)