Engineering Studies Scaling? (1 Viewer)

p0man14

HSC
Hey, I think I want to pick engineering studies for year 11 & 12 but I'm confused about how it scales, and have heard some people say it scales well and is an underrated subject and others saying it scales very poorly. Does anyone know how it scales? Thanks.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe Engineering Studies neither scales extremely well like some other subjects, nor does it scale very poorly. However, I think it would be safe to assume that subjects like Physics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 scale relatively better than Engineering Studies.

That said, scaling shouldn't be your basis for picking a subject. What you should prioritise is your interest in that subject and whether you feel you can perform well in it, because you can perform well in a subject, regardless of its scaling, provided you are regularly studying and staying up-to-date with content, allowing you to perform well in assessment tasks and exams.

I hope this helps! 😄

Everwinter

HSC
When considering a subject you choose, I would say picking it based on: your performance ≥ your interest > difficulties of the subject for you > scaling

I think typically a band 6 give a boost to atar regardless of the scaling, so I suggest you to check the honour roll online about the amount of band 6 in engineering from your school each year. Other than that I agree with everything that jimmysmith560 had said, it scales in the upper part between English advance and English standard to give you a sense of scale.

After you understand the atar system (you can find it on youtube from UAC), you would realise that harder subject tends to scale better, so you would normally get a higher mark in low scaling subjects comparably and that would give you an equivalent atar based on your performance regardless of the subject (the very reason that scaling exists)

I think it is also too early for you to say as well since you haven't started it yet, you can also try it in year 11 and drop it in year 12 if you don't like it or is bad at it, but usually, you can only drop 1 subject given that you don't do 13 unit in year 11 and extension 2 on year 12

Sometimes the workload of the subject is also important because you have to balance between the subjects, I suggest you find someone from 12 doing engineering about the course, from what I heard engineering has a heavy workload, so you can ask about it in your school.

quickoats

HSC
Debunking the band 6 myth: you don’t get a magical boost for landing a band 6. The incremental change in your ATAR when a subject moves from 89 to 90 will be very similar to the boost from a 88 to 90.

If you want to do engineering studies, then don’t let scaling put you off - enrol in it if you have a genuine interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)