engineerring and commerce?...any better? (1 Viewer)

sinthy

BE/Bcom

does anybody know what the likely prospects are for the new BE/Bcom degree that UNSW has recenlty introduced...would the career scope be more credible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I was also wondering about this - in regards to sci/comm - but have come to the conclusion that the two degrees only go well together if you major in say management or international business (or information systems with computers).
So IMHO if you're not doing anything IT related then doing an MBA later on seems to be the safest bet.
P.S. What are the entry requirements for an MBA - I'm aware that you need some kind of an undergraduate degree - could this be engineering or science or would it have to be business related?

mojako

HSC
so, anyone with other commerce majors?

I was thinking of finance
well maybe its not related to eng but i can use it as an alternative career path...

laney

HSC
a lot of people do combined degrees which aren't related.

i think double/combined degrees are better just in the sense that you stay at uni for 1 extra year (in most cases) and you get 2 degrees. 2 degrees look better than one :) and for a better reason, it'll just mean you have more choices later, depending if you do want to go down one path or another (eg, managerial role in a civil engineering company)

i was told about a documentary in britian, where cops were being interviewed. a lot of the senior coppers were getting really annoyed that new staff were coming along and getting into the academy and climbing straight to the top without any real prior knowledge or experience. and the reason they were climbing the heirachy ladder pretty quickly (and more quickly than experienced staff) was because a lot of them had degrees, science and/or engineering. i think in this case, that's really slack. i mean what's a degree got to do with anything in this case? and in many other cases, if you've got a good degree you're going to race to the top...and it's slack because you shouldn't get to the top without experience (imo), and i know it's slack, but if the world works like this, then yay for degrees :)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
all most every engineer ends up in management...u stay in the techincal side for maybe 5,10,15 year and then u start to manage projects, work for companies etc

thats where the business knowledge of a commerce degree or MBA comes in handy.
I spoke to an engineer right at the top of a company hierachy and he reccomended engineering commerce if thats the path u want to take.

Else, there is engineering law which is combined 6 yrs which would make u very sort after in a techonologically advnacing world where most lawyers are oblivious to cases they have to work on...for eg a civil engineer starts asking a lawyer we doin an arch span with thtis streess and this material, is this legal, the degradation factor is 8.9230489720, will that fall below legal limits within 10 years...
i dunno, i guess an engineer with legal background or lawyer with engineering background, would be quite stimulating and u would have no trouble finding a job since an employer can kill 2 birds with one stone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)