English Quotations (Shakespeare) (1 Viewer)

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
How do you memorise so many quotes 🥴
Do teachers not like shorter quotes (1, 2, 3 words)?
What do you do if you forget?

band6yesplease

HSC
I literally write it down like 55 times the night before (I literally have a book dedicated to memorising things the night before that was filled from trials) and I memorise it in a pattern - Like I know, for example, paragraph 1 has 6 quotes, 2 has 5 and 3 has 7 then I remember the first world of every quote so I can quickly write it down on the front page of my writing booklet as a "plan" then I refer to that during the exam.
to memorise the actual quotes I literally write them down heaps and heaps of times then say it out loud over and over again in different tones.. pretend ur giving a speech to ur mirror that's cool too.

If u forget a quote make it up but make it sound believable

Depends on the quality of the quote.. eg. in one of my texts a quote is "and then what?" but I analyse the heck out of it so it works. As long as its a strong quote and you can draw out a bunch of analysis you'll be fine

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
actually they do like shorter quotes - or if they're too long they'll recommend you shorten them, at least in my case. the longer your quote is, it can affect clarity, which can be confusing to your marker.

in terms of memorising quotes, i just recite them. i'm someone who memorises the whole essay to bring into the exam so all i do is in the few days before the exam (even 2 days before because that's what i did for trials) i just walked around my house reciting the words to my essay. i have a few friends who just wrote down quotes and recited them on their way to school and ended up memorising them. i find with shakespeare, it's slightly easier because of the meter it's written in and because it's in a dramatic form, and there are certain 'popular' quotes the teachers bring up a lot and kids use a lot so they become more ingrained in your mind (eg. for merchant of venice, a popular quote would be portia's monologue on christian mercy - 'the quality of mercy is not strained / it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven...') reciting them and practising writing your essay helps your essay get stuck in your mind. like, it's been around a month since i did my trials for paper 1 but i still remember all my quotes and most of my merchant of venice essay.

it depends on what you forget. i memorised an essay but when i wrote it out i realised i forgot the full quote and that part of my analysis didn't make sense for the q. i had a few random quotes from the back of my mind (for example super short ones that stick out like shylock's very last line in the play - 'i am content'), so i replaced the forgotten quote with that one. if you know the gist of it and know a few key words, just make it up - just don't make it super outlandish.

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
Thank you guys i love you guys ❤❤❤

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
get used to it sorry. year 12 you have to memorise 5 times 1000 word essays. memorising quotes is easy ngl

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
get used to it sorry. year 12 you have to memorise 5 times 1000 word essays. memorising quotes is easy ngl
Idk why I'm having quite a bit of trouble. I'm pretty stressed and it doesn't help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)