• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English Standard to English Advanced (1 Viewer)

Hexane_

HSC
Hey, I just started the HSC and I was talking with a year 12 about my subjects. They are all Science based subjects. I'm not very strong with English and I dont expect to do well in it. I chose Standard English under the Discretion of one of my teachers last year. The Year 12 suggested that I take English Advanced over Standard as the scaling would mean that if I in Advanced only did better than 25% of students that would be Equivalent to doing better that 80% of English Standard students.

Should I take his advice and switch to English Advanced or would it be best if I stay in English Standard due to its easier course

astroman

HSC
Be aware that the two courses are similar, you will just learn a few different texts, also, markers will have lower expectations of standard students. So an 80 for an advanced student might be an 85 for a standard student.

D94

HSC
N/A
The status quo here is that we vehemently oppose students taking English Standard. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a correct view, but brace for that viewpoint.

English Standard, in terms of what work you need to produce, is not easier than Advanced. You still need to produce high quality essays in order to obtain good marks. The texts are easier in Standard, which means you need to produce excellent work just to be on par with above average students in English Advanced.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
It's probably better to just stick to Advanced. Standard is often said to be 'easy', but that actually doesn't mean it's easier to get a higher ATAR with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)