• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English?...... (1 Viewer)

showman

HSC
Ive always had trouble with english, probably the worst subject that i do.....i just dont understand how to impress the markers, how do get pen to paper and approach the question. i understand all of it eg anaylsis, techniques etc. but when it comes down to writing it all out and expressing it i.e essays, writing task, journal entries etc., its impossible............so i was just wondering if someone could tell me what do i do to succeed in english and also in addition how to study for english, i have major troubles with that! :vcross:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
When marking essays, markers are most impressed by the way you synthesise everything together into a strong argument. You really got to have the "passionate" feel in the argument as if you were debating the point furiously.
When studying for english, the most basic thing to do (if you already don't know them off by heart) is to revise your basic writing structures and techniques. Taking it to the next level means you need to also remember quotes or examples from your texts and how it shows or relates to the idea or topic you are studying.
Some people take that even further, by writing pre-written essays, memorise them and regurgitating them onto their work. In a test situation, this would not be effective, since it is often difficult to relate what you have pre-written to the question. My teacher says that regurgitated essays are often made obvious to the markers because people often do not synthesise (or disguise) the ideas in their memorised essays well enough to match (or make relevence to) the ideas and needs in the essay question given in the test.

In a nutshell, to succeed in English it just takes more practice. Note the cliche "pratice makes perfect".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)